lens filter scratch?

fireandicefuel

I have a Nikon D70 that I bought in November 2005.

I have been researching filters lately and decided on the Hoya Pro1

Digital. I bought it two weeks ago. It is the clear protection multi

coated filter. I just wanted something for protection only. Well I

wanted to clean it and ended up using my lipstick style brush like

this one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/82375.jpg

It turns out that I think it scratched it. It has quite a bit of very

little bluish purplish markings on it in the shape that I wiped it

pretty much. I am wondering why would it scratch so easily and what

can I do to remedy this.

I bought ROR ( residual oil remover ) from B&H thinking it was that

but that didn't do anything.

any help would be appreciated<div>00FRr5-28488584.jpg.8a8bf50897e3d393fe486bef3377ccdd.jpg</div>

Unless your brush was particularly dirty, I would doubt that you actually scratched it. More likely there was an oily substance on the brush that is giving you the marks. I would try "Eclipse" cleaning solution (methanol) and "PEC Pads" followed by "micro fiber" cleaning cloth. Unless you use a brush strictly for dusting off a lens, it can pick up oily residues from other surfaces that transfer to your lens. I use a hand blower and the above cleaning materials for lenses, but no brushes.

The coating on Hoya filters is pretty tuff and I don't believe a camel hair brush alone will will scratch this filter. There was more probably some oil or perhaps fine abrasive particles in the brush or on the filter surface before you started cleaning.

Brushes are easily contaminated with skin oil. Try cleaning the filter again using 99% methyl or isopropyl alcohol with lens tissue (NOT eyeglass tissue which contains silicone) and finish up with a micro fiber cloth.

You haven't been photographing around volcanoes lately, have you? One day while shooting at Volcanoes National Park in Hawaii, I cleaned a dust covered filter with some lens tissue and alcohol. Unfortunately, volcanic dust is extremely abrasive (pumice)and the filter was ruined. Effectively I had scoured the filter coating!

Now, my method for cleaning filters contaminated this way is to thoroughly rinse them under a stream of warm water followed by drying with a micro fiber cloth.

I think I would toss that brush and use lens cleaning tissue or a micro fiber cloth. I used ROR years ago and was not happy because of streaking and that was before multi-coated filters which are even more prone to streaking.

I experienced a similar things a few years ago with a Hoya SMC C-PL. Something got on it

and in the course of trying to clean it off, an oily film developed that was never able to be

removed, even with PEC-12. I could spread it around and thin it out, but it never

disappeared. Ultimately, I tossed the filter and now stick with Nikon, B+W, or Heliopan. I'm

not sure what technology Hoya uses to coat their filters with but theirs is the only brand

I've ever used that experienced this issue. Sorry it has happened to you.

Todd,

You probably haven't scratched the filter.

Hoya filters show thin layers of dirt on their surface much better than any other brand. Some call it a fault, but it may actually be a feature. Same amount of dirt on other filters would go unnoticed.

All fancy cleaning liquids, lens tissues and pads are made for cleaning lenses. There's way easier way to clean filters (not polarisers). Wash the filter with warm water and generous amount of dishwashing liquid, rinse thoroughly and wipe with a microfibre cloth if needed.

Best regards,

Miha

I've had a problem with Hoya coatings smearing before. Any fluid I used

would just push the oils around and make it worse. Until I tried "Formula MC",

which cleaned it right up. I was able to go back and revive all of my Hoya

filters that I thought were ruined.

• 3 months later...
Wow I just read all the recent comments months later. I still have that bluish stuff on it and I took some advice from you guys. I bought the Formula MC from Peca. I just took a few snapshots Saturday at a wedding and I wanted to clean that off but I'm glad I stumbled upon my old post.