I will be an "Uncle Bob" this afternoon, any problems with my behavior?

tholte

One of my best friends son is getting married today and they want me to shoot

some casual stuff the "real" wedding photographer may not get. I will

introduce myself to the pro and explain who I am and why I am taking photos.

I will promise to stay out of the way and not impede him/her in any way. I

will not tell any guest what I think of the pro even if I think he/she is

goofing up or missing some good shots. I will keep my mouth zippered unless

the pro asks me something. I will be Mr. Invisible as far as the pro is

concerned. Am I missing something or am I on the right track?

If you have a nice camera or sound like you are not just an amateur hack, the pro will probably threaten to walk out of the shoot if you don't cease and desist, or will tell the bride and groom you are not allowed to shoot, or will otherwise make you wish you never showed up in the first place.

You ARE a threat to them afterall, especially if you are a good photographer (sigh...).

I'm sorry my opinion is jaded on this, but I've read and experienced enough to make me very warry of your average wedding photographer...

If it's a GOOD photographer, they should have no problems at all with you being there, if you stay within the limits of not getting in their way etc...which is an obvious courtesy you've already recognized.

Under any other circumstance, I'd say don't be intimidated, but since you could run the risk of p***ing off the hired gun and your friend losing in the end, you'd really be best to do whatever the pro wants, for your friend's sake.

There will be times when the wedding photographer will be shooting groups of people.I would stay away from shooting while they are doing the formals. No matter how you try and stay in the background , some of the people will be looking at you to take their photo instead of looking at the wedding photographer. Other than that, as said above have a great time, and look for the behind the scenes photos.

Unfortunatly, Shawn may be right.

When this happens to me, I talk to the amature if they don't come to me first, and try to recruit them as sort of a second shooter. I tell them my plan for where I will be at different times and suggest other vantage points for them to try. I make it plain that since I'm the one hired and need to get the shot, they need to keep out of my line of sight to the action. Otherwise, they should shoot and be happy.

I usually find the biggest problem is just what Michael has pointed out. I try to be accomodating, and explain to all the "extra shooters" that I get my shots first and then I will will allow a short time for them to get theirs. I do this for each pose.

However, I can afford to do this because I rarely sell prints. I include the digital files in a package that is paid for, and if they get a better shot of something (or even everything) I'm not out any money. Since this is not yet the common practice you may find an irritated photographer.

But maybe not. I did this at a nephews wedding once. The part time pro was shooting with a Hasselblad and wasn't worried about me at all. I talked to him beforehand and he had no issue with me doing exactly what Tim has suggested. I waited several months to allow time for the B&G to select their photos/album before I gave them mine.

As long as you stay out of the way, and aren't using "pro" gear like a vert grip, flash bracket, f/2.8 70-200 monster lens, etc... the pro probably won't even notice you. There will be other DSLRs and/or 35mm SLRs in the crowd. I don't go anywhere without a camera, but when I attend a wedding as a guest rather than the hired photographer I bring something inconspicuous, and try to get photos of other folks than the B & G. The hired photog is going to be concentrating on the B & G, but the couple always loves seeing photos of stuff that went on that they didn't see at the time.

I shot my 2nd wedding last week and let's just say I was happy when everyone's P&S and Film camera's ran out of Memory, Film, or Batteries. I didn't mind so much when things were going on and they were catching them but when I had 4 cameras behind me during formals or a posed group and at least one "Uncle Bob" (who was typically the grooms father) calling for their attention I was not too happy.

I think if you know your limits and respect that the photographer has a job to do you'll be fine.

great question Tim, I will be attending a friend's wedding in a few weeks and my cousins in a few months. In both cases, they just expect I will be taking pictures as I usually do at any other events, b-day parties, graduations, showers, engagements... But I am worried about how the pro will feel about it. Of course during the ceremony, I will just get an aisle seat and shoot from my seat or shoot guests or maybe not shoot at all. I was thinking of bringing my medium format since I have only shot two rolls with it and it would be fun to see the results - with the thought of "everyone these days has a decent camera" which would look less obvious the med format or my d70? or should I just bring my 35mm. I assume I should skip the flash and lightsphere too.

I guess it all depends on the pro how they will react.

Just realized your friend's wedding is TODAY. Let us know how things played out!

I survived my "Uncle Bob" stint with flying colors. The pro was a super guy that was smooth as silk. He made everything look so effortless that it was not even funny. I stayed out of his way and did not shoot any of the shots that he did. Watching him work made me realize that I am basically a snap-shooter, content to catch a fleeting moment, not the whole enchilada. My attention deficit disorder syndrome would do me in I'm afraid. It was fun and I got enough good images to make it worthwhile. I have a new respect for good wedding photographers.<div>00H4Gh-30803384.jpg.323ef97f339f4bf3095272f52b618c2d.jpg</div>

nice shot Tim, glad it went well. Hey have you done gallery of your dog shots yet, you were going to inform people by email of? I think of you every time I try and get nice shots of my dog - they don't come out that great.

Yesterday's wedding was virtually an "Uncle Bob" convention.

... including a D2x with Nikon flash sporting a LS-PJ diffuser.

A Canon D30, replete with a laptop and a 4X6 printer set up at the reception.

6 Fuji Prosumer digitals.

2 Digital Rebels.

1 Nikon film camera.

A Phalanx of P&S digitals.

Here's a first: as I'm shooting the procession, Uncle Bob senior comes up behind me and

starts shooting with me. Didn't even know he was there until I went to step back. Missed

the Bride being presented to the Groom by her dad because he got in the way.

And that's not the half of it.

I carry a camera everywhere, including weddings. Here are a couple of "rules" for the Uncle Bob's. feel free to disagree to your heart's content.

<P>

Don't follow the pro around - photos with half the guests looking at you and half looking at him/her are inevitably tossers.

<P>

No flash - sorry but the pro has enough to worry about without stray flash bouncing all over the place

<P>

Shoot black and white - Aunt Martha and everyone else will be shooting color

<P>

Shoot scenes only you can get - you have access and knowledge that the pro doesn't, use it to your advantage

<P>

And finally: bring a camera not a kit - you're supposed to be having fun remember?

Obviously those are my own personal opinions. But when there is a professional working I like to keep a low profile, so I find the locations where there is enough light and hang out there.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that when I see an Uncle Bob trailing around the hired photographer I find it's often easier for me to offer him a drink and "catch up" than for the pro to say "could you take a hike, I'm working here" (not that a true professional would ever say that...)

• 1 month later...
Tim: I looked for your Uncle Bob shot above in your portfolio but couldn't find it, so I'll have to comment on it here and hope that you still check this forum from time to time. I think this is a fantastic shot with an almost surreal feel to it. I've read enough of your postings to know that you're very modest and think of every photo you take as a snapshot, but in my opinion this is nothing short of brilliant.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...