Not a Lighting Question - Studio Background System?

We just opened a retail studio and are using the classic, portable background

stands. They're all fine and good, but we're interested in getting something

more permanent that offers a little more ease of use and the ability for

quickly changing the background.

I've looked at the RollEasy and DynaTran motorized and hand-cranked wall-

mounted roller systems, as well as the Pro Track rail system (we have 15-foot

ceilings with acoustic tile, so if we couldn't mount it to the wall we would

have to modify this arrangement some how).

Can anyone offer some advice or recommendations on these or other types of

studio background systems? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jen

Here's a <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FzaN">link</a> to a previous thread on this topic.</p>

I like the Autopoles, but on a drop ceiling you would have to use the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5677&is=REG&addedTroughType=search">Autopole bases</a> to prevent them from toppling, which leads to the question, "Why bother?" since the small footprint is one of the real advantages of the Autopole system.</p>

On the other hand, you buy just the Expan Drives and attach them to a regular background stand on a hook in a super clamp. I find this to be a real timesaver with my roll backgrounds (canvas or paper). The Expan device allows you to set the tension on the roll, so it won't unravel under it own weight like it does if you just hang it on a crossbar.</p>

With muslin backdrops you would have to get one of those shower curtain style hanger systems (I forget you makes it). Muslins are always more time consuming.

Tim - You have a nice little set-up there. :) We've been working out of our house for the last five years. It got to the point where there was more workspace than living space, plus too much traffic, so a studio has become necessary. You've got a very creative solution, though.

OK, I will take a closer look at the Autopoles and call Bogen/B&H for advice. Thanks everyone for your help!

Jen

Autopoles are a temporary set up for people who are on location or working out of their living rooms on the weekends. If you are setting up shop, then you really should go for a wall mounted system. The RollEasy is with out a doubt the most solid system that I have ever encountered. No electronics to mess with, no cheesy plastic chains, just solid metal gears. Don�t get anything that is less than 10ft wide. Buy best and cry once. If you get something cheap eventually youll regret it.

I have been using the Bogen (Manfreto) background support system for close to 15 years. In the whole system the only disappointment were the plastic chain drives. I replaced with the metal link drives. One other �problem� were the heavy black rubber bumpers top and base, they will leave black marks on ceilings and walls, so cover with a sock before snapping into place.

Other wise the whole system is vary good equipment. I have used the Auto Poles at the union of drop ceilings and along the spars staying close to the junctions. I would not do this as part of a permanent installation but have used this to set up in small offices for temporary work. In addition, I have mounted the steel three roller holders on walls and ceilings for permanent installation. It is best to secure a piece of board to a wall then put the metal support units in place. You will find that once up you will most likely need to make a minor adjustment to one side to get the paper to fall more perfectly to gravity to ensure a perfect re-roll up on the cores.

I just came from a friends studio and they have something very different. Their background is on a curtain track, and they pull out the different backgrounds simply by pulling the backgrounds on the curtain track. Very quick to change backgrounds. But like a curtain the backgrounds fold when pushed back, but the one I saw out seemed to lay fairly flat. These were primarily for 3/4 or less shots. I did not ask them how they dealt with the LONG backgrounds that you would stand on.

He also had one that folded away into a bag like a large car windshield reflector. That was very neat to see.

• 1 year later...

There is a pair of background holder hooks you can buy for about $35 at B&H - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5172-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_2921_Background_Holder_Hooks_for.html

I'm planning to get them and one Expan drive pair with the plastic chain, which I've use in the past. I understand that it's not as good as a RollEasy system, but it is expandable, so I can put two more paper rolls with Expan drives on the hooks as I grow my collection, and I can get started with this system for under a hundred bucks. I'm going to spend the extra money on more different colored paper rolls, rather than spending money on a system to hold the paper rolls. All I need is an easy way to roll up the paper, and the Expan drives seem like they'll be easier to do that and to swap rolls of paper, which I will just stack against a wall in their cardboard boxes. Eventually I'll spend the extra hundred bucks to buy two more Expan drives, so I can have three types of paper ready to go. For now, I'd prefer to get another soft box, maybe a boom from Alien Bees, or more paper rolls with that money.