Best prices on Billingham bags in the US?

patricks

My local dealer only offers list price on these bags - anyone know a

good online dealer and also what bag would you recommend for a SLR

system (1 body, 1 zoom, 2-3 primes, flash gun, sekonic lightmeter,

perhaps space for a foldable reflector - I'd like to have ONE bag

for it all (I got plenty of smaller bags)

Patrick - As a Billinghamoholic, I'd recommend the 335 for that gear. Among other models I have the 225 and it's a wee bit tight for the system you describe. My 550 (now replaced by the 555) is great as a weekend bag but I'd hate to lug something of that size full of camera equipment.

I use a 445 for my bigger kits, and it works quite well. It will easily take an R9 with

motordrive/dmr and 3 or 4 lenses, or a Hasselblad kit with three lenses, winder, finder and

two magazines. The nice thing about it is that, though it is big, it carries very well. For some

reason the billingham strap is balanced better for me than others I have tried. You can also

get the backpack harness which can help in a pinch. It is not as good as a regular backpack,

but the billingham is much better to work out of than a backpack, so if you convert it to a

backpack for the walk to wherever you are going to shoot, you can take the harness off and

work out of it as normal once you are there.

I guess the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=218547&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation">Hadley</a> would be to small for my kit? Hence, I'm not planning on carrying all that gear at any given time, but I would like to have ONE bag where I can store it all and take it along if necessary. </p>

Or perhaps that <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=157325&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation">Packington</a>? - I like the shoulder/messengar bag style myself. </p>

At the same time, I don't want a bag that is too big. I used to have a Lowepro Stealth Reporter 650, but that thing was just way too big to schlepp around on airplanes or around town.

The Hadley's not really geared up for today's DLSRs - it's perfect for rangefinders and non-motordriven SLRs of yesteryear. The Packington is a possibility, but I think you'd come to find the lack of a handle on top a PITA for the times you are carrying everything at once.

Sorry to keep beating this ol' horse, but I have a hard time inspecting these bags around here - if I want the option to fit a laptop sleve in there as well, I guess the minimum size I can go with is the 445, is that correct? why does it show in green in the photos, but not in the order list?

man, it is hard to go "retro" - those family business website sucks ;-)

Can't answer you about the colour of the laptop sleeve, but if you want to carry a laptop in addition to your photo equipment, then yes, the 445 is the smallest that would work. However the design is such that the laptop would be in the outside pocket, furthest away from the body. Ergonomically that isn't ideal. Without photo equipment, a 15" laptop would fit in a Large Hadley or a Packington - both are tall enough.

• 2 months later...

I saw a dealer in Hong Kong selling Billingham bags for around 30% off from the price in the US.

The hadley pro is selling for HK$1155, which is about US$148. Pretty amazing.

I am from HK myself. Every year when I go back to HK I pay a visit to that store to shop for photo gears. It is one of the more reputable photo stores in HK. I don't know about their shipping policy though.