south Texas scenes

josphy

I spent this past weekend visiting my parents down in southwest Texas,

and I decided to bring my vintage cameras along for the ride since

they have been somewhat neglected recently. My Yashica LM's shutter

has stopped functioning (for about the 5th time), so I brought my

Kodak Monitor 616 and Balda Six. My brother had recently purchased

some land on the aptly named Turkey Creek, so I spent some time

wandering around there. There is a little rock cabin on the property...<div>00FS31-28491684.jpg.b184dc94bce62abcb34ac53f38d9c28c.jpg</div>

Landowners in this area have to be strike a balance when it comes to giving access to their property to the electric company to install and maintain the power lines, etc. -- they will sometimes come in with heavy machinery and make a mess and not pick up after themselves. A little further from that cactus is a sign of times when people didn't need to worry about electricity. An old well which my father says was originally dug by hand...<div>00FS3O-28491884.jpg.3a8d49a507d4f786dfb0a7e53afb1634.jpg</div>

Even though much of the area is as I describe above -- cactus and mequite -- the area along the creek itself is pretty lush (although not so much at this time of year) w/ lots of oak trees which are home to turkeys and pecan trees, not to mention waist-high grass full of ticks.<div>00FS3s-28492784.jpg.86660c8703560ff8057fe1beb2496411.jpg</div>

I couldn't spend all of my time down by the creek, so I went in to the nearest town (Uvalde, TX, named for a Mexican general I think) to check out the cemetery. Lots of interesting stones there, and I shot a lot in infrared with my "modern" cameras, but I snagged a couple of shots w/ my classics. By the way, all of the B&W shots in this presentation are taken with J&C Classic Pan 200 in Diafine except for the two color shots which are on crossprocessed Provia 100 (just because I was too lazy to take it to the place that does E6 processing in-house).<div>00FS45-28492884.thumb.jpg.275ddddeb89c1bdcd0aa84f28a88e5fa.jpg</div>

I guess I should get a Monitor 620 considering how often I crop the 616 to 6x9 format, but I like having tons of negative to crop if I want. One final shot (my apologies to anyone w/ slow internet connections, but it's been a while since I really posted anything and wanted to share some of my favorite shots from the weekend)...<div>00FS4H-28493184.jpg.e427fd45294d3593a7955a5e92bd565d.jpg</div>

Here's a pic of my Monitor 616. You can also check out the page I made when I originally got it @ http://www.geocities.com/josphy There are some photos there and then another page w/ my how-to on using 120 film in it. When I originally got it off Ebay, the bellows were totally crapped out so I painted the hell out of them with "liquid electrical tape" which you can get at the hardware store. I had to really lay it on thick to seal up all the light leaks and as a consequence, it's fixed in the open position now. I guess at some point I will look into getting the bellows repaired, but haven't really had the extra money laying around to worry about it.<div>00FSnP-28509984.jpg.ef400bdfdc41c02fc009d81a7819f153.jpg</div>

Here's a picture of my little Balda Six -- it's totally dwarfed by the Monitor. Sorry for the lousy picture -- it's one of the pics from the original auction, and I don't have a digital camera and have never taken any other pics of it since. By the way, don't judge Texans by some of the bad examples. My Mom's family (Kuykendall) has been here since the original Stephen F. Austin colony, so we have strong roots here and it's a pretty good place although to be honest I prefer the east coast.<div>00FSnd-28510084.jpg.51e53e986d82030542344a5dcf61562c.jpg</div>

Joseph,

Hey, very nice work. I especially like the Monitor 616 shots. I think (I spoke to you before on Monitor 616 in email or some other bulletin board. I have one and am contemplating a 50' roll of 70mm film from J&C Photo to reload my own 616 film.)

Nice website, too! I like the semi-panoramic infrared work.

--Micah in NC

Thanks again to everyone for your comments. I think my favorite from the set is the shot of the wood stove.

Micah, I have thought about getting some 70mm film too, but I only have one 616 spool and you'd have to find backing paper somewhere too, so it didn't seem really practical for me. At one time I think there was an announcement on the J&C website that they were going to start offering 616 film but apparently that fell through (I bet the backing paper or lack thereof was an issue for them too). In the meantime I use my one 616 spool and then unload the camera in darkness and wind the film back onto a regular 120 spool. And I also have a spool that I modified with some "adapters" off Ebay which are really just some washers that I glued onto regular 120 spools. I need to get some more of those or make my own since I have lost a couple of the ones I had, so basically I'm limited to a max of 2 rolls of film (12 shots total) through the beast in any given outing -- one using the adapted 120 spool and 1 using the actual 616 spool.

Incidently, you could probably get away with running one roll of 616 through it without backing paper because it does a frame counter, but you'd have to load and unload the camera in darkness. I don't worry about the frame counter although I received an email from someone once who described a way he got it to work using 120 film.

Joseph,

You might be able to get an new old stock roll of 616 film from eBay or a place like Pacific Rim http://www.pacificrimcamera.com/ which would provide you another spool and backing paper intact. That's what I did. Now I have two 616 spools and one piece of backing paper, which I treat with kid gloves. I hope to get some J&C 70mm film soon.

--Micah in NC

Joseph, I really like the cross-processed shot of Turkey Creek! Did you scan it yourself, or have the lab scan it for you?

Also, I noticed the waterfall is blurred: Did you use a neutral density filter to get that effect?