Do most of you just focus on weddings or do you do other types of sessions too?

jeffc1

My main interest is taking fotos, whether they be wed, landscapes, portraits, street, corporate events, etc. I love to record photographically. Some individuals write.

Having picked up some skill w/ the camera I do wed to pick up a few extra bucks, doing something I like to do. I've taken formal training in fashion, lighting, whatnot in order to do the best job for my client.

Aftr taking courses in fashion, my wed pix improved tremendously.

I started out doing childrens photography setting up a small studio in my home, than found myself doing seniors, prom and I just did a 100th birthday party. Now I have jumped into the wedding scene and I am loving it! Do what ever area of photography you enjoy and learn everything about it that you can.

Elaine Marie

Nope- portraits here, specializing in babies and children. In fact, I had not intended to do weddings at all. As was foretold by several friends and mentors, I sort of got sucked into wedding photography. However, I'm fairly discriminating (not in the pejorative sense, mind you) about the weddings I take on. I'm fortunate to be in a position where I don't <i>rely</i> on income from weddings, ergo I invoke the privilege of selectivity. :-) I like to stay true to my style, and have no problem referring someone elsewhere if their desires are too out of step with my own preferred approach. So in that sense, I don't suppose I'll ever really be a "real wedding photographer" in the sense of having that as my proverbial bread and butter.

I have been in business since 1999 doing weddings and portraits, seniors, families etc. but I to am very choosy in work I accept since I do not have to rely on photography for income, I have taken several weeks off to get ready to move into a new home.

I started out, 33 years ago shooting family groups for Fund Raisers and Church Directories. Of course included in these categories, you would break the family groups down doing a lot of children's Portraits along with Babies. I gradually started doing weddings. Today Weddings are 80% of my photography. Weddings are a self promoting venue in that you need to only position yourself and throw your hat in the ring (Bridal shows, yellow page ads. and Bridal books. Where as Fund raisers and Church directories you must contact each Church, Boy scout group and Little league team directly and first go through a sales presentation. With wedding photography the need is already there. Most of the time they make the initial contact with me. One of the main reasons I presently do a lot of weddings is that it feeds my ego. With weddings and babies there are a lots of oohs and ahas and in a lot of cases, teary eyes.

Good Shooting to ya !!

Merle

Weddings are the second to most lucrative after my commercial work but I also do any event that people want a photographer for, Bar/Bat Mitzva, engagement parties, Brit Milah, Pidyan Haben, Henna ceremony, etc, etc (all Jewish events but that is my market). Added to that is fundraising dinners and lots of stuff that blurs the line between event and commercial. I do portraiture, I'll even shoot kids if you give me a gun! I'm shooting 3-4 times a week at a minimum and it's paying the bills though not as much as the print orders.

Can anyone but the biggest and best wedding photographers survive on weddings alone if they have no other income?

I only advertise for weddings so they tend to be my biggest market. But because I meet so many people while doing weddings I get a few other things that come in. Some I have to turn down because I don't have the time to do them and would hate to sacrifice my wedding clients happiness with me.

No focus, except in the camera.

Weddings, portraits for business, political, family, life events (Communion, etc.), corporate

and church events. Plus, advertising and industrial.

Any subject, animal, vegetable or mineral : -)

Some day maybe I'll get serious ... and focus. Wonder if it'll be as much fun?

I'm with Marc. Weddings just come along by happenstance. Most of them are people related to a commercial client. That means I often treat them the same way ~ take the job on a handshake (or phone call), no contract, no deposit, invoice it after the fact. So far I've always collected.

Weddings are fun and always a challenge. Doing engagement portraits for couples getting

married opens the door for maternity portraits, childrens portraits, etc. down the road (of

which I've already done a few and I enjoy them). Fine Art is my other love. I have a feeling

that I'm going to be entering the commercial market once I move, but that will just be extra

cash flow, whereas weddings and fine art are more of a passion... something I feel compelled

to continue doing.

Thanks for all of the advice here. Very good as usual. My photography is not used to support me, but it has to be able to support itself, and so far I have been blessed. I would one day like to have it be my main income, but we'll see. I am still in learning process, mainly as a business man, but still learning more and more about photography and photoshop. I just love to photograph people, so I will keep things "open" for now and see if I narrow my market down some in the future. Thanks again to all.