Which extended warranty?

denis_vu

Please keep in mind that your mileage may vary, but my personal preference is not to buy any extended warranty at all, and I have "saved" a lot of money over the years by never buying any extended warranty.

Hoever, should you get one, I would make sure that the seller (1) will be around for a few years, (2) have the ability to fix the item, and (3) is willing to do so and won't give you excuses in the future.

Consider a MACK warranty. It is less than half the cost of the BB and Nikon ESCs. I purchased one with a D200 and am glad I did, as it will extend the warranty for 3 years after Nikon's expires, giving me a total of 4 years of protection. I realize that extended warranties generally aren't needed as most problems will happen within the first year. I rarely purchase extended warranties, but with an expensive digital camera, if you can get one cheap enough, I think it's not a bad idea. The MACK warranty on my D200 gives me peace of mind, and it costs me only about $25 per year for the extra protection. However, probably the most appealing aspect of MACK is that the warranty is transferable for a nominal fee. If you want to sell your camera, this will help with the resale. I would not buy either BB's or Nikon's ESC b/c with it you're also buying a service contract so you can bring it in and they'll "service" it for free. I don't think you're getting any added value there.

John

Mariemont, OH