being used but don't give any details of their image circles,etc

<P>I realize that some (such as C mounts) can only be used as closeup lenses

but i have no idea about what else is out there.Can anyone fill me in on this

subject?

<BR>I've heard that some film lenses can be used to infinity on 35mm because

the format is similar.If the C mount is around 16mm,what is this larger film

format called (or more properly-how do i recognise a lens of this format)<br>

Thanks

Ron, if your goal is to take reasonably good pictures with no more effort than needed stick with lenses made to fit your camera(s) and don't go whoring after foul alien unclean lenses made for other purposes.

But if it pleases you to play with lenses that weren't originally made to be used on your camera(s), don't ask us, just obtain lenses that seem interesting and ask them what they can do for you. You're going to be using your time and your money to amuse yourself. I don't know what pleases you, and wouldn't presume to suggest the best use of your resources. Go and play and be happy and tell us what you've learned.

To avoid disappointment, add the concepts coverage and back focus to your toolkit before you start to acquire lenses. And think in terms of what can physically be fitted on your camera(s). I've had difficulty using fat lenses (won't go in the lens throat) with short back focus.

Thanks for the laugh, Dan! :-)

Ron, Dan's post is indeed funny (but accurate) to me. Coverage of the XR-Heligons and the like (I have a quite few of these heavy weights and use them as well) at infinity are typically 10-15mm circle. Back focus is again, typically, 5mm to 12mm. If you mount these (fixed focus, fixed aperture as well!) for any 35mm camera or dSLRs, you can do 1/3X to 1/5X magnifications.

The XR-Heligons (>1 kg!) also have a VERY strong radioactive element towards the front.

These lenses are full of spherical aberrations (among others) and were meant as relay lenses and not taking lenses.

So, if you want fuzzy photos, this is one good way to achieve them. You can also use PS and do it more easily.

I've used C-mount Bolex lenses for a while to do nice floral close-ups. Good lenses...and fun to use (the faster 1.4 lenses make it easier to see the image in the SLR viewfinder). I screw the lens into a T-to-C adapter ring, and then screw the ring to a T-mount on the camera body. (Got all rings and adapters on eB**.) I do like tinkering, so all of the effort was worth it. You could use this same setup to firmly attach ANY C-mount lens on an SLR.

Dave, female C-to-male T adapter?

And, wouldn't they shoot better reversed? Mounting reversed cine camera lenses on a bellows for an SLR is fairly easy, takes filter step rings and a lens reversing ring (male filter thread-to-male target camera mount).

Dave, thanks for the reply. Can't imagine such a thing, and for two reasons. First, its unlikely that a lens made for C-mount could cover 35 mm still. Second, using such a lens for photomacrography (photography at magnifications > 1:1) really does require reversing it.

But and however, I have an Edmund Optics female RMS thread-to-male T adapter, sort of like what you're thinking of but with a smaller hole.

Vivek, thanks for the info.

What is its intended application? I can't imagine -- sorry, Vivek, my imagination was excised when I was little -- anyone wanting to take small circular images on 35 mm film with a Leica.

Could it be for making gigantic blowups of tiny sections of a 35 mm or larger negative?

Cheers,

Dan

I'm no expert, but I believe that C-mount lenses won't cover the 35mm frame. Usually, you'd need to go larger - ie, medium format lenses, and they also have a longer reg. distance so you'll have no problem focusing to infinity if you want to. If this interests you, look for Hasselblad and Bronica lenses. Also, lenses for Pentax 67 should be fine too. Bear in mind that these lenses will be large and may make hand-holding the camera a little awkward.

Of course, larger format lenses will also work, but they will be even more awkward. There are some advantages though: you will be using the sweet spot of the lens, and you may also be able to arrange to get tilts and shifts from such lenses if you are handy at making your own adapters in the workshop.

Perhaps you can also get enlarger lenses to work? That should be interesting!

Hi Again, Everyone!

Yes, the T-co-C adapter disk is as I remembered and described it earlier.

Maybe I just lucked out, due to the Bolex f/1.4 C-mount lens's design...I don't know! But it DID cover the entire 35mm frame without vignetting. Maybe that was because, when placed on a T-mount on the front of an SLR, it is MUCH farther from the film than its "registration distance." So, light from its rear element has a lot of room to spread before it hits the film. Of course, infinity focus (or any focus using the lens controls) is impossible...you just have to move the camera forward and back until the close-up image comes into focus.

And no, I did not have to reverse it to use if for floral macros...but that is an interesting idea!

Dave, first of all, I believe you.

Secondly, back when I was shooting S8, I used a 36/1.4 Macro Switar in H8RX mount (same diameter as C-mount, ~2.2 mm shorter register) on an S8 Beaulieu. With the lens set to infinity, far focusing distance was very close indeed. Great lens.

Somewhere on the web there are pictures taken on a 35 mm SLR with a 150/3.3 MacroYvar. Someone in the far east did it. If mine is typical, not such a great lens.

That said, I seriously doubt your sanity. Don't feel bad, I doubt mine too.

Interesting...If you TRULY want to doubt your sanity (or mine), mount the Yvar or Switar on your 35mm SLR, hold the camera in front of you (lens pointing to your right), and look at yourself in a mirror. The "look" of the equipment alone should just about settle the issue!