Unusual War Time Jsolette - Any Ideas?

Hello all,

I came across an interesting J/Isolette on E-bay. Noticing that it was a

black, bakelite version with a Compur-Rapid shutter (T,B,1-500) and 4.5/8.5cm

Solinar, I decided to go for it. The question is: Has anyone ever heard of

such a combination? I am almost positive that the lens and shutter are

original, because it has the same art-deco styling as my two J/Isorettes (see

attached pictures), and which looks nothing like the post-WWII versions.

Regardless, it should be an interesting shooter. Now, if I could just finish

unsticking the front two elements (it's stuck at infinity), I would go take

some pictures. As a side note: I am consistently impressed with the quality

of the early Jsorettes and Jsolettes. The bellows are much better than on

later models, and the shutters always work. Having dealt with a fair number of

folding cameras, I can say that the Compurs and Compur-Rapids never seem to get

gummed up. Anyway, I will keep you informed.

Thanks in advance,

Jim<div>00Gt1L-30492784.jpg.c1d6dd8e6556b7198b313685d82d4134.jpg</div>

I have seen a few of these black isolettes. If I remember correctly most of them are capable of 4.5x6 as well with masks.

I have the same compur rapid shutter, but with an apotar lens on it (I just have the lens, it is not mounted to a camera). The shutter did need cleaning!

Also, I just found pictures of an isolette with a Agfa Anastigmat Jgestar 1 :6,3; f = 8,5 cm lens.

Wem,

It is interesting that you have the same Compur-Rapid shutter, but with an Apotar lens. I have seen several (and used to own one) with the 6.8 Jgestar lens - it was better than two of my Apotars (however, this could have been related to other factors such as a better pressure plate or the fact that it is a 6.8 lens).

I have seen several old advertisements, and read plenty of websites, but there is no mention of the bakelite Jsolettes with either Compur-Rapids or Solinars.

Thanks again for the information!

Ciao,

Jim

Yes, the camera/lens combination is definitly original.

"Die 'Isolette' wird mit drei verschiedenen Optiken geliefert: dem Agfa-Anastigmat 'Igestar' 1:6,3, dem 'Apotar' 1:4,5 oder 'Solinar' 1:4,5, alle mit der Brennweite von 8,5 cm. Die Deckplatte der 'Isolette' besteht aus Pressstoff. Die Kamera ist mit Robusit bezogen und hat einen Leder-balgen".

(Photofreund Jahrbuch 1939)

a few tips for un-sticking the front elements. First one: don't force them. I broke a nice Apotar lens that way. The next time I had that problem, I put the two stuck-together elements in the oven for about 10 minutes at 200 degress F and then simply unscrewed them while they were still warm, holding them in a towel. On old Japanese cameras, soaking the parts in strong alcohol (90 percent or stronger) has done the trick. Soaking in acetone (nail polish remover) and naptha (lighter fluid) did not help.

Hi, Jim Being a fan of the Jsolette/Isolette models, I acquired a 98/99 edition of the German "Kadlubek's Kamera Katalog" which I'd been told was the best thing around for data on them - and AGFAs in general for that matter. Well, it certainly is, with over 100 variants listed, but there's no mention of a prewar Jsolette Apotar with Compur Rapid, only the one with the slightly slower Compur shutter that you also have. However, there is a post-war (46 - 49) model with those specs but it's single 6 X 6 cm format only and presumably now with a metal top cover. So, congratulations, mate - you've scored one over the Mighty Kadlubek's with this latest acquisition! ~~PN~~

Lightning strikes twice! At a yard sale last year, I found exactly the same camera as Jim's--Bakelite, Solinar 90/4.5 lens, Compur-Rapid, 1/500 sec, deco styling, 6x6, same red numerals on the front of the lens. Still works a treat, too.

Jim, you may want to check something else as well. My unit has a metal flap in each film chamber that can flip out and around, to convert the camera to 4.5x6. It also has a little slider at the top of the back, which you can set as a reminder of the negative-size selection. The flaps are not spring-loaded, but they still seem to settle so snugly against the box around the light path, that they could be overlooked.

P.S. At first, I thought that "Jsolette" was some kind of mis-stamp in the leather... Guess not!

Dave