Leica O Series Camera Shots

billc1

The most remarkable thing about this well-framed, well-focused and well-exposed photograph of the three twenty-first century seals is that it could have been shot with an M7, not a reproduction of an antique Leica.

What is there to love about this camera? I am not being sarcastic. I truly want to know what could be so attractive about a camera so difficult to operate.

I never even considered getting this thing. Suddenly I am asking myself: "What have I been missing?"

Alex, it is quite possible that the M7 image would be different. The M7's auto exposure would probably have given a slightly different exposure, slightly under what the O-Series gave (considering one buys a M7 to use in AV mode).

This is why I am a firm believer in full manual operation. The M7 certainly has it's place in Leica M history, and AV has it's usefulness for some people, but it certainly should not be compared in any way to the O-Series or M6/MP for that matter.

IMHO, it is a waste of money for someone like me, who prefers the operation of the MP/M6 cameras, but the O-Series, like the M7 has it's place in the Leica M-line, and IMHO, more so than the M7 if I had to choose.

"but the O-Series, like the M7 has it's place in the Leica M-line"

What is "AV"? Is that the same as aperture priority auto-exposure? The term AV doesn't appear in my M7 manual.

Kristian, perhaps you were unaware, but the )-series, which pre-dates the model A Leica of 1925, is not part of the M-series. the first M-series cameras was the M3, which was introduced in 1954.

The O-series is closer to the screw mount Leica cameras, but is not really even part of that series, since it was a fixed lens camera. I have certainly never seen this camera referred to as part of the M-series.

That's not a fair assumption at all. I have had (and do have) many cameras with aperture

priority mode, but much of the time I am using them in manual mode. There are many

people I know who also shoot in M mode a lot.

Av is great to have at times, and I'm not afraid to use it. However, I didn't get aperture

priority cameras to use them in that mode exclusively.

Hey Brett, nice gallery over there. I like the flag photo the most. I normally shoot my pics outside at 10 meters to maximize the DOF and seems to work. The sea lions were shot at 1/100 at 12 focused at 10 meters. This is the smallest manual Leica that I know of. It sure is a pleasure to shoot with it.