St. Marks NWR in March?

Jenifer Selwa Photography

Hi! I've got the opportunity to stop at St. Mark's National Wildlife

Refuge on my upcoming Florida trip next week. How's the wildlife

there at this time of year? I'm going to primarily see the

lighthouse, but I love to shoot wildlife as well. I only have about

1/2 day to play with, as time is really tight this trip.

Also, can any of you Florida natives recommend the best route there

from Panama City? Am I better to head north and take the Interstate,

or am I better to take two lane and go north to 20/267 east through

Bristol? I'm planning on taking 98 coastal driving back from St.

Marks to Pamana City on the return to hit the few lighthouses along

there.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Jenifer,

I was there last Wednesday for about an hour. I would not recommend going up to I-10 and then down. It would be quicker to stay on the smaller roads. There were plenty of wading birds around, but even at 3 p.m. it was still foggy so I didn't shoot them. I did photograph the lighthouse, my main target also. If the weather is clear, I would recommend getting there in the morning for the lighthouse shots since the parking lot is on the west side of the lighthouse.

Jeff

Jenifer,

I was there in early January, There are a few lighthouse photos (shot near sunset) in my New Images folder among several others I shot there. If you can, check the tide charts. At low tide, it's much easier to shoot the lighthouse from the Gulf side. Also, early morning is great for shooting the sunrise over the pond next to the lighthouse. I also had some luck shooting the pine trees in the fog. Near the lighthouse is the remnants of an old pier. I enjoyed shooting that as well. You'll find lots to shoot early morning or late day. You'll likely see Alligators and Deer too. The migratory ducks had yet to arrive in mass when I was there but I saw numerous wading birds, Moorehens, Grebes, Mottled Ducks, Florida Ducks, and Red Heads. There was also a pair of Bald Eagles hanging out around one of the ponds before you get to the lighthouse on the left. If you find them, late day shooting would be best. They were backlit in the morning.<div>00FT26-28515784.jpg.5eb8ba3bb63a54e3b56b3e03b17c52c2.jpg</div>

Jenifer,

The road to the lighthouse runs right along the edge of the ponds. Many of the birds (and alligators) seemed to like hanging out right along the edge. So, you can likely get some great bird images with a moderate telephoto. However, the longer the lens, the more options you'll have. I didn't really do any bird shooting while I was there since I have the opportunity to shoot them closer to home on a regular basis.

If at all possible, I'd recommend getting there as close to sunrise as possible. I know it would mean getting up VERY early but should be well worth the sleep deprivation. By 9:00 you may already be past the peak conditions for shooting the lighthouse. You may also want to check the weather reports. One morning, the fog was very thick until late morning. If heavy fog is predicted (apparently a common occurence there), you may be able to sleep in a little longer.

Laurie, thanks again for the helpful information. Sounds like my kind of place! I'll be sure to check the weather before I leave. Fog and lighthouses...my kind of stuff! :) I'm going to have my six month old son with me in a baby backpack (haha, this is going to be fun!) so I'm not sure if I can get going much earlier than 6am (CST). Looks like I might luck out with low tide too...

• 2 weeks later...