24mm lens with a 0.58 VF

sfbk

Yes, I think so. When using my hexarRF (0.6 x VF)

I always use the entire view for my 25/4. Works fine.

I never take the trouble bringing the accessory finder along.

But it's quite easy to compare what you see trough

the accessory finder and your build-in finder.

"Do the frame edges of a 0.58 finder roughly correspond to a 24mm lens?"

Not in my opinion. If you want to frame your shots as precisely as is possible with a rangefinder, use a separate viewfinder.

Also, search the archives. If I recall, a couple of years ago some one here put together a presentation of the fields of view covered by the in-camera finders and brightlines, and the fields of view as captured on film.

In a pinch, the 0.58x finder Leica is close enough for non-critical use for a 24 or 25mm lens,

but for critical accuracy an accessory finder is necessary. You may find that when speed is of

the essence, the 0.58x finder is preferable, such as in photojournalism. For shooting

landscapes, where you have time to switch your eye between finders, you're better off

focusing with the camera finder and then framing with the accessory one.

I have both the 24/2.8 and a .58 M7. Generally, what is said above is correct. It CAN work when you need it, but it is less than ideal. I broke my 24 VF, snapping it right off the foot. I survived for a period without, but finally broke down and bought a CV25 VF because working w/o the external was often just not satisfactory.

<p>

One point not mentioned is that the 24/2.8 brings up the 35 VF lines. This annoys me greatly, as it would be easier to look past the 28 lines than the 35. Yes, you can hold the preview lever. But, it is there.

<p>

SO, the .58 can work w/o the external viewfinder. It does work if you are moving fast and do not need precise framing. It is close, but inexact. Moving slow, you can frame by leaning back slightly and then leaning forward to shoot. In the end, however, as much as I do not like the nuisance of external finders, the external viewfinder IS much nicer for framing. YMMV.

<p>

Owen

I have a 0.58x and a 24 Asph and I use just the camera finder all the time. Handy if you

just want to have a superwide in the pocket. Works fine with the usual rangefinder camera

cavets. The shoe mounted finder is no more accurate as you also have to remember to

reframe when working close.

Here is what I do: Frame the photo in whatever finder you are using (0.58x camera

viewfinder or separate shoe mounted finder) and then just slide the lens into the finder

position before clicking the shutter. With the separate shoe mounted finder I slide the

camera up. With the camera viewfinder I slide the camera up and to the left. I have done it

so often that it is automatic now regardless of the finder I am using.

"Also, search the archives. If I recall, a couple of years ago some one here put together a presentation of the fields of view covered by the in-camera finders and brightlines, and the fields of view as captured on film."

I made some inquiries about this a couple of years ago, and got thoroughly lambasted for asking. All I got was snide remarks from self righteous individuals with nothing useful to contribute. (So typical of this forum.) I would still be very interested in seeing this data. In fact, it should be a part of the FAQ. If anyone can dredge it up, please do us a favor and post a link to it. I am sure many people here would find it useful.

I don't like using external finders and prefer to use my 24mm with a .58x body. The built-in

finder doesn't fully cover the field of view but if you don't wear glasses you can look at the

very edges and it is close but it would be best to have a mental picture what a 24mm should

cover and frame accordingly. I mean if you want absolute framing precision you should be

using an SLR so I think a close approximation with a rangefinder is within expectations.