Poor Man's telezooms: Canon & Sigma 70-210s

maomig

While I keep wondering if I'll ever be able to save enough money to get a 70-200 2.8L, in

the meanwhile I've enjoyed the company of my old 70-210 3.5-4.5

It's very light and quite and fast to focus, and I never complained except that, in many

occasions especially during indoor shooting, it's max aperture was simply not sufficient.

A few days ago I came across a fellow photographer who has a Sigma 70-210 2.8 (82mm

version) for sale. Basically, considering the average value of my lens, with 80 extra bucks I

could "upgrade". Now, I was wondering if that is really going to be an upgrade or not.

Sigma is heavier, allegedly slower to focus and has an 82mm diameter, but is still a

constant 2.8

What would you suggest, keep my lens or go for the Sigma?

Thanks

"Sigma is heavier, allegedly slower to focus and has an 82mm diameter"

Only you can decide if these drawbacks are enough to spoil the benefit of the 2.8. Really, what do you expect people to say to you? You really want people to tell you what to do?

I say: spend the money. After all, it's not my money.

<p>Only you can decide whether the size, weight, filter size, and slower focus (I've never used that Sigma, or that Canon for that matter, but by reputation, the AF on the old Canon 70-210 is blazingly fast and I'm certain the Sigma can't keep up) will be problems for you. As for max aperture, the Sigma is half a stop faster at the wide end, which is not significant. At the long end, it's a stop and a half faster, which could be useful; when you find that your 70-210 is too slow, is it throughout the whole range or primarily at the long end?</p>

<p>Hopefully someone who's actually used the Sigma lens will be able to tell you how good it is optically.</p>

It didn't seem to me such a provocative question, I asked just for an opinion according to

your experiences. I also own a 24-70 2.8L and a Tamron 90mm 2.8 so, if I need the speed

for subjects around that aperture I usuallu have these two lenses. The problems arise for

longer focals in which 4.5 is sometimes just too slow. Auto-focus is nice to have it fast but I

rarely needed it not shooting sports for the moment. And my final goal is buying a 70-200 L

anyway, this chioce is meant to try having something better in the meanwhile.

I had the 77mm version of the old Sigma APO 70-210/2.8. It was very good and comprable to the Canon 70-200/2.8 at the short end but the Canon was rather better at the long end. You did not mention which camera you have. This is an old Sigma and it is not compatable with most newer bodies such as the 10D and later in the digital range and the newer film bodies. It may have been rechipped and in that case will work without any trouble, but TRY IT on YOUR camera(s) before any money changes hands. If it works, then don't hesitate. Just be aware that Sigma's Zen finish of those years could easily peel off the lens leaving the metal exposed, but at least the metal is painted black. If that happens, peel off the rest of it and don't worry about it.

Stick with what you have its a good lens. The Sigma may need to be rechipped to even work on your EOS body (depends on model) A friend has a Sigma 70-210 F2.8 its broken, sigma will not fix it, no parts

also no chips left to make it work with the newer cameras.

you might look at the 70-200 F4 L USM for $600 too.

Maurizio, Use the Visa and get the 70-200 f2.8L IS. It is one of the best built lenses of the Canon line. It is a work horse for indoor sports. I shoot night time high school football with mine. I use the 1.4 extender for airshows and it does fine. If you need more light all that's left are primes which I use for close ups. If you have to save some use the one you have until you can save enough. Regards, Bill

"It didn't seem to me such a provocative question"

<P>The question is fine,it's just the grumpy idiots answering thats the problem.

<BR>I'd suggest you try compare the sigma to your lens before deciding.I've used one of that model (82mm filter) and it really was average.It may have just been the example i had but be carefull in any case.

<BR>The point about it maybe not working on you EOS body is a good one-if you are getting a digital body in future it will allmost certainly not work on that

If you can find the earlier 77mm version of this lens, you would be a little better off. That one is better than the 82mm version at both ends of the focal length range but the 82mm is better in the middle. The Znn finish problem I mentioned earlier means the finish comes off in places. It's a flat finish but the metal underneath is glossy. That make it look like you have shiney spots here and there. I had the problem on my lens and also on a Sigma 50/2.8 macro of the same generation. I ended up stripping the Zen completely off that macro lens and improved its looks a great deal by doing so.

Thanks a lot for your help. Lots of good points. I have an EOS-3 and should work fine with

that, but maybe if I decide to go digital I could have some problems. I resolved to try it along

with my actual lens and to mount it on a 10d and 20d of another friend of mine and see how

it goes, maybe it has been rechipped, we'll see. Concerning the finish, I'll pay attention to it.

Thanks again

My 77mm version worked correctly with my EOS 3 and D30. The 82mm version is a little newer bit I wouldn't bet on it being compatable with any newer digital body after the D60. Please follow your plan to check it out on some newer digital bodies and even an Elan 7N/7NE as well. One of my old Sigmas worked fine on the 3 but not at all on the 7N but perfectly on the D30... The old Sigma 14/3.5 works great on the D30/D60 but not at all on anything newer. I no longer have any Sigma lenses. BTW, that Sigma beats your Canon hands down at the long end, not even close and you win a stop and a half into the bargain.

Maurizio, I also purchased this lens. It was quite slow with the focus compared to the Canon USM or Sigma's HSM model. The problem also as stated it would not work on my 10D. I called Sigma to find they no longer rechip this lens. Personaly I would save the money and apply it toward the newer HSM model or if you just have to have Canon then save your money even longer and go for the Canon 70-200 f2.8. Like a good friend of mine once said "it is only money and it is only your money" you are the one who has to make the choice in the end. jp