DIgital Rebel shutter stuck

sudipta_giri1

My digital rebel shutter has got stuck. It is stuck in a position so

that I can't see anything through the viewfinder. Did any of you

face a similar problem or have any idea about how to fix the

problem? The camera is a little over one year old (so it is out of

warranty) and has less that 4500 clicks.

Thanks in advance,

Sudipto

I wish I knew which mode the camera is in. But the thing is after the shutter got stuck the camera is dead. It isn't even powering up after pulling out and putting the battery back in. Could it be a battery problem? I recharged the battery to full, but I have no way of knowing if it truely got recharged because the camera doesn't power up to show the battery indicator. Is there a way in which I could verify if my battery isn't dead?

First and foremost, the shutter does not obstruct the light path the the viewfinder, it is the raised mirror that does that.

That said, it sound like it is broken to me. I hesitate to suggest this, but what do you see when you remove the lens? Please do this in a clean room and realized that touching things inside the mirror box can easily break them.

enjoy,

Sean

That black screen likely has multiple parts and I would bet long odds that it is your shutter so I would also try insanely hard not to touch it.

From the sound of it your mirror may be stuck up. Sounds like you need to take it in for repair. Albeit, I am in no way qualified for camera repair so I would suggest talking with a professional.

all the best,

Sean

My girlfriends XT had the mirror lock up in it. After a little investigating, I found that she had been playing with the CF's, and it was set to mirror lock up. Could this be the case? If so go the the custom function menu, mirror lock up, and switch it.

Mike

<em>"...But the thing is after the shutter got stuck the camera is dead. It isn't even powering up after pulling out and putting the battery back in...."</em>

<p>

Obviously it's not in sensor cleaning mode or in mirror lockup mode. Nothing you can "accidentally" set will prevent the camera from powering up.

<p>

Either the battery is dead (but even if it is the mirror shouldn't be up) or the camera has a fault. Sound to me like the latter.

I saw something like this on another forum and the poster said he fixed it by pulling the main battery AND also the button battery which is located inside the battery compartment on the front edge. Of course you'll lose all your settings, but may be worth a try.

Good luck

I don't know if this is helpful, but it has worked for me. Albeit, that I order most of my cameras and lenses from NYC, I have found that buying a filter or lens cover or other small item from your local camera store pays off in big dividends. I have established a rapport with individuals in that store, and when I have a problem such as this, I have asked them to look at my camera. It has been beneficial.. You might give it a go..

Good luck with that. Hopefully they won't charge you (much) for the repair.

The Irvine facility was pretty nice, and had replaced a broken door on my 300D when it was 6 months out of warranty for no charge (not even for the part).

If you're in driving distance, you might just want to bring it down there.