Tripod Recommendation for D70s/Nature Photography

jean melissa

Since you don't have a large tele, I would recommend one of the Vebon Carmagne tripods (at least that's what I would buy if I were in the market today) -- they come in a couple of heights, and in a couple of locking systems (twist lock a la Gitzo or flip lock a la Bogen) -- personally, I prefer the flip lock system, but that's a personal choice; others may prefer the twist lock.

Also, get a lightweight ballhead like the Acratech (what I have) or one of the Kirk or Arca Swiss ballheads.

KL

You did not tell us about your height, travel requirements, weight restrictions and budget, all of which can affect a recommendation. Here are mine: 1.Bogen 3011BN or the more robust Bogen 3021BN, Kirk BH-3 ball head that accepts arca swiss system camera and lens plates from Kirk, Really Right Stiff or Wimberley. I now use the Wimberley universal camera plate and lens plates from Kirk or Wimberley. 2. Same as 1 except a Gitzo Explorer G2220 tripod which is designed for general use and macro use. When each leg is locked into its angled position, it is done with a noticeable click. That could be a drawback for you. If you are going to be hiking, and weight is a consideration, you can get a carbon fiber tripod made by Gitzo or Bogen. The Gitzo model numbers are 1257 or 1258 or 2257 or 2258 for the Explorer version. Joe Smith

You didn't say if you have a budget. If "mostly macro" - I highly recommend Gitzo Explorer 2220 + Acratech V1 ballhead. It should be perfect for your height too.

If you think 4.9 lbs a bit heavy for you, the CF versions are slightly lighter, though almost twice as much expensive. If you must have a cheaper+lighter tripod, you can look at Velbon EL Carmagne 530 or various Feisol (CT 3301/3402), Slik (713CF/714CF), Manfrotto (190MF3/MF4, 055MF3/MF4) tripods. But IMX only the Gitzo Explorers seem to have been designed for macrophotography purpose - Benbo and Uniloc are nowhere near as stable.. I have no exterience with the new Giottos designs which are very similar.

You can see lots of explorer G2227 pictures here http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/gitzo-2227.shtml I use the G2220 and G2228 legs, very similar to G2227.

<p>Here are some recommendations from hands-on experience (either

tried or own(ed)) or based on dependable sources</p>

<p> </p>

<p><u>Tripods</u>:</p>

<p><strong>Ultra lightweight: </strong>Velbon Luxi SF5, Slik

613CF Pro (have it, great)</p>

<p><strong>Lightweight: </strong>Velbon EL Carmagne 530/40, Slik

713CF Pro, Manfrotto 190MF4 Magfiber (have it, good)</p>

<p><strong>Mediumweight: </strong>Manfrotto 190B (had it, best

value for money), Manfrotto 055MF Pro, Gitzo Explorer G2228 (have

it, great), Feisol CT 3301/3402, Slik 813/814CF</p>

<p><strong>Medium heavyweight:</strong> Explorer G2220 (have it,

awesome), various Velbon Neo Carmagne</p>

<p><strong>Heavyweight: </strong>Gitzo 1325, 1348</p>

<p><u>Heads</u></p>

<p><strong>Lightweight: </strong>RRS BH25 (have it, amazing),

Slik SBH280 Pro (have it, awesome), various FLM (had one, was OK,

lost it)</p>

<p><strong>Mediumweight: </strong>Kirk BH3, Acratech V1 (have 2,

great), RRS BH40, Markins M10</p>

<p><strong>Heavyweight: </strong>Arca Swiss B1 (have it, very

good), Kirk BH1, RRS BH55</p>

<p>Having so much support gear isn't indicative of a confused

mind or mindless expenditure. It just goes to show that like most

things in life majority of folks will never be satisfied with a

single camera support because there isn't one perfect

all-rounder. You need to make an informed decision and start

somewhere, then add better ones as/when you see fit.</p>

<p> </p>

I'd get an Amvona AT-858 leg set, and a good ball head. The Amvona legs can be gotten for around $50 including shipping on their ebay site, and they are basically a good copy of the Manfrotto 3021N, for 1/3 the price. I used to use the Manfrotto in a studio I worked with, and the Amvona's are extremely comparable. Amvona also makes decent ball heads such as the ATH-H93 that can be had for under $20, and the ATH-H96 Magnesium alloy head that can be gotten for under $50. These heads don't compete with $300-400 top tier pro ball heads, but they are comparable to Manfrotto stuff that costs over twice what the Amvonas do on ebay.

IMHO, there's nothing else close to $100 than an Amvona AT-858 and one of these two ball heads. The comparable Manfrotto outfit will cost at least twice as much, possibly 3X as much.

If your budget will stretch a bit, I'd spend a couple of hundred on a really nice Feisol ball head, like their CB-50H but I'd still get the Amvona AT-858 aluminum legs - they're the best deal out there.

Jeannie,

I don't know anything about the Gitzo explorer, but I do have a Benbo Standar 1, already alluded to, and there isn't a position you can't put it in, so it's great for macro work as far as my experience has been. mine just has a Benbo ballhead as well, and though it locks up on occasion when I haven't used it much, generally works fine. I'd at least give the Benbos a look.