which entry-level dslr has the best high ISO results?

I am in the market for an entry level dslr. Mostly going back and forth

between the rebel xt and the d50. I am almost set on these because of the

abundance of lenses available. Rebel xt has more pixels, but d50 seems to

have a bigger sensor. I have also contemplated the e-500, minolta 5d, and

pentax *stdl because they seem to be offered at very low prices. What

intrigues me most is the minolta with the built in anti-shake, and the

possibility of zeiss lenses being made in the KM mount. I am shopping for the

new camera for kids' baseball games and also general general use camera. I've

come to a decision that pretty much any camera will meet my needs. High ISO

peformance will probably determine which camera I buy, as they all pretty much

have the features I want.

So which is it? I think rebel xt or d50 are safe choices, but the KM 5d would

also be nice for the price they can be had for as long as ISO performance is

good.

Hi Anthony,

When you say "good" or "better" or "best" do you mean "low noise" or "resolution" or "contrast" or "color rendition" or "focusing ability in low light" or even "has the highest ISO setting available"?

Of course the Minolta AS Anti Shake will allow you to shoot at 2 stops lower ISO where the Canon and Nikon would require their supplemental IS/VR lenses, so are you comparing equivalent shooting situations, or, are you only comparing tested ISO results?

Remember to compare the Minolta results at 2 stops lower than the Canon or Nikon results before deciding unless you know you will also purchase IS/VR lenses only. That's the point of AS Anti Shake.

There are many other criteria to low light shooting, including different lenses performance, and hand-holdability of the camera, and your ability to control the camera in low light where I find direct read-out knobs and controls help a lot.

Let us know what you do.

Click!

Love and hugs,

Peter Blaise peterblaise@yahoo.com Minolta Alpha Photographer (direct read-out knobs and controls!) http://www.peterblaisephotography.com/

As you have said they are almost the same all of them. For me how you feel them on your hands should be the most important. KM 5D has the same high iso performance with the d70 (I have them both). Rebel XT I do not have it but from what I have heard should be slightly better. But as I have said differences are minimal in image quality so for me handling is the most important thing.

I find it amusing that somebody going for an entry level camera is influenced by the multitude of lens available .... if you can afford the lens why do you go for an entry level camera, why not a better grade in the range?

If you cannot afford one of the better grade cameras how will you find money for all the lens ... all highly amusing.

Just want to reinforce Peter's point. Whether or not a camera has vibration reduction is a huge issue, and remember that VR lenses are typically more expensive. IMO, noise is not the make or break issue some make it out to be, and unless I had just one specific noise critical application for a camera, would never make a decision based on just one specification.

>If you cannot afford one of the better grade cameras how will you find money for all the

lens ... all highly amusing.

Because someone can't afford a better lens today doesn't mean that they won't be able to

afford a better lens tomorrow. Many people have longer term plans for building camera

systems.

"If you cannot afford one of the better grade cameras how will you find money for all the lens ... all highly amusing."

Always happy to amuse. I was refering to the fact that a lot more options exist for lenses with Canon or Nikon in varying price ranges. Either new, or ebay. I think I'd rather have a cheapo body and great glass rather than the other way around.

I am still undecided. Leaning towards the Canon, but handled a KM 5D over the weekend and it seemed to fit my hands, and I liked the layout of the controls a tad better. I have read so many great reviews about each camera over at dpreview.com

Peter. Thanks for your input. I meant all of the above. Combo of noise, contrast, color rendition, and I guess shadow detail as well as far as the sensor is concerned. Auto-Focus ability in low light just threw me a curve though. This is one more thing I'll have to research.

To continue my line of thinking ... just how many lens does a photographer need ... many are made for the many different purposes that photographers use their cameras, and quality of results required .. but how many photographers do 'everything'.

The ideal is to pick the camera and lens for the job and I think you will find that the versatile photographer has several cameras each tailored for the work expected of them. A bit harder with digital with it's limited range of bodies than with film, but the principle still applies.