EOS 1DS or 1D N?

terence_hsu

Hi, I'm wondering what camera I should get.

I know that the 1DS has 16.7mp vs. the 8.2 of the N, but I'm mainly going to be doing

12"x18" prints. I could also save, money, although not the big issue. Please advise on which

camera.

I tried a demo of Photozoom with a Canon MKII N shot, posted by Canon, but it seemed like

there was quite a bit of fine grain with the picture. Will the 8.2mp be enough for a 12"x18"?

If you are considering the 1D2n then you should also be considering the 20D. If your funds are limitless then go for the 1DS2 but be aware that this camera will likely be replaced in the next 7-12 months and you will have lost at least $4000 by then. How much you invest in a camera will also depend on what lenses you have and what lenses you may wish to invest in.

One thing to add to the equation is what type of photography you are doing. If you are using wide angle lenses, then get a full frame sensor such as the 5D. However, if you are a wildlife photographer and need as long a lens as you can get, then the 1.3 or 1.6 crop factor can greatly reduce the need for super long lenses or make your long lenses even longer. There is a dispute whether a full frame sensor of 11 mp will produce equal images (when cropped) to that of a 1.3 or 1.6 sensor uncropped, but I think the math favors the 1.3 sensor. I have both the 20D and D1mk2 and when using good photographic techniques the images can easily be enlarged to 16X20.

I have the little 8.2 megapixel mark2 and I love it, I used to have the 20d which is great but I have big hands and had some issuse with the verticle grip adaptor. The mark2 has awesome build quaility, 45 focus points, and spot metering. As for 12x18 all day long it will give it to you...I have seen 3megapixel cameras produce 40x46 that are awesome and flawless...enjoy your new camera