Why Capture

doug_davis1

"Worth" is your choice. It is only $100.

If you shoot RAW, it is a very powerful, but slow and a little buggy, RAW converter. It gives better "quality" than Adobe Camera Raw and in camera JPG, but at the cost of less convenience. If your time is money, don't use it.

If you don't shoot RAW, then it is not much use to you, apart from what the other responders have said.

Four more reasons why:

1) Batch processing is easy to set up, offers flexible output options, and is reasonably fast.

2) Works seamlessly with Photoshop in either 8-bit or 16-bit mode, with more Nikon-specific parameters (such as WB, tone compensation, sharpening, etc)

3) Allows tethered control of camera, with pix sent directly to computer.

4) If you shoot only jpeg, D70 tends to benefit from a custom curve. AFAIK, NC is the only way to load one.

If you shoot in the studio, Capture will allow you to shoot tethered directly to a computer (or laptop on location) where you can see and evaluate your lighting, focus, composition, white balance, posing, propping, layout, color balance, etc. immediately. When you've got the shot you want you know right then. No reshoots needed.

If you're shooting portraits your subject can pick the shots they want or decide to take more.

And it is only $100.

AFAIK it's the only NEF conversion software without a moire problem.

Besides, it's a lot cheaper than PS CS2. If you're running CS2, try PS 7.0 and you will realize how slow CS2 is.

Capture runs fine on my laptop. I like it, although after processing a lot files it tends to slow down, and some functions like writing jpgs is really slow. Nonetheless it's almost free ($100) and creates wonderful conversions, what can you ask for that kind of money.

If you have a memory problem, buy more memory. Capture is not like scanning 6x7 film at 4000 ppi you know - THAT's slow and memory-consuming.

The automatic dust removal feature is only available with Capture. I have Photoshop and Capture, I use Capture 90% of the time.

Yes, it is a memory hog, be sure you have lots of extra memory, both hard drive and RAM. I am currently rebuilding my system to go from 15gb on the C drive to 160gb. I have a 200gb where I place my images, but Capture only wants to use the C drive.

Capture only does the normal types of image adjustment.

If you want to modify your images, you will need a photoshop type of product.

Nothing else renders NEFs as faithfully as Nikon's own software. Skin tones are rendered with natural gradation. Details are preserved without ugly artifacts. That alone is enough to forgive Nikon software for its other quirks.

Even the freebie Nikon Editor that comes with Nikon View does a better job than anything else I've tried. Too bad it doesn't have batch conversion capability.