on this before I make the purchase.I was offered a 70-200mm/2.8L zoom in mint

condition. I was just wondering how was it compared to the IS version in

sharpness. Is IS made a world of a difference between this two models since it

is already a pretty fast lens at f2.8. Please advise me if I should get this

lens or go for the IS version. I am currently using 70-200/4, which is tack

sharp but would like a faster lens for indoor shooting. Thanks for all

advise/comments.

Tim

<p> From the summary in <a href="http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/70-200is.shtml">http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/lenses/70-200is.shtml</a>: </p>

<p> The decision between the non-IS and the IS version of this lens is a no-brainer. The extra $750 gets you a lens with far greater versatility. It will get you shots that you otherwise will miss. If that's not worth the extra money, I don't know what is.</p>

<p> Personally, I agree with every word. In fact, I think about getting one for myself. </p>

<p> Happy shooting, <br>

Yakim. </p>

Well also Yakim, not to be contreversial (sp?) but not every has an extra $750. I mean yes you are very correct in the fact that if you have the extra $$$ then by all means get it, that's a no brainer, but maybe the guy doesn't have the extra money. Like me, I would have to scrape for a year or so for $750 let alone, an extra 750 on top of the $1100 or whatever is.

hey..there's another me ... *grin*

Tim, for indoor, you'd probably get more versatility out of the IS version, especially if you are not on a tripod or monopod. However, again, it depends on what you are shooting on whether or not the IS version will assist (IS only stops your motion, not everything elses). From what I've heard the non-IS version is a tad bit sharper but both are excellent performers. Another question to maybe ask instead of tossing the extra 750 onto the IS version, is there something else that would augment your kit that might make a difference.

<i>If Tim doesn't have the money for the IS version, why would he ask the question?</i>

<p>

It's not a question of having the money or not having it, which should be fairly obvious. The question is whether it's worth it or not.

<p>

That said, it's the most pointless sort of question. How is anyone here supposed to tell you how to spend your money? That's your wife's job.

Remember, IS helps lowering the effect of you yourself "shaking the lens up and down". IS does absolutely nothing to freeze a moving subject at 1/30 or so. So IS can only be helpfull if your subject is still or hardly moving.

I do use IS a lot on my 500/4 and 100-400 lenses. For the 70-200 I didn�t get it, because I don�t shoot subjects that "freeze" for 1/30th of a second.

I have the IS version and it's one of my most used lenses, if I was down to my last two or three canon lenses that would surely be one.

However, I was looking through the Canon EF III Lensbook (the definitive guide to Canon optics) and discovered that when used with a multiplier the non IS version apparently enjoys a small but noticeable advantage over the IS version. It wouldn't change my choice but it may be relevant for some photographers.

Hans is right. So it depends if you are trying to stop moving subjects indoors or not. If it's indoor sports/theatre then no IS, if it's indoor portrait/party candids then IS.

In terms of resolutino your 70-200/4 L is the sharpest of all three, with the f2.8 next, and the f2.8 IS last.

Thank you guys for all your valuable comments. Point noted on the versatility of the IS version. I will be using the lens to shoot mostly indoor candids(weddings & birthdays) and my kid's stage performances, no sports though. I have a fairly low rate of good & sharp shots with my existing f4 version so I was thinking if a faster lens would provide me with better percentage of good shots. Tripod would be out of the question in these situations so I guess the IS version would be a better bet for me, right! Anyway, much appreciation for all your time to help me out. Thanks.

Tim