Can't wait for the 30D... to really start using my 20D!

v.anisimov

So that I can stop feeling over-protective of my current 20D.

My trusty 20D is going to find itself exposed to the elements a lot

more as of tomorrow :~) [i know, I probably need to see a shrink]

I remember it felt liberating a while ago when Canon released the EOS

30N/Elan 7N to replace my EOS 30/Elan 7. I actually used my "old" 30

a lot more because I no longer had to put it in the bag all the time,

clean it after each trip to the beach, etc...

How many of you share the same sentiment about their old/new

equipment?

Well, I stop worrying about people stealing my computer only when it becomes obsolete,

if that is anything like the same, so yes, I see your point.

However, I bought my Fuji S2 secondhand - for some reason, the new-model-

obsolescence thing doesn't work on a seconhand purchase :)

I also have an old Rolleicord Vb, in really really great condition; it's something of a

treasure to me. I planned to use it on a photography holiday this year, and I decided to

insure it. Then, I found a good condition 1960s Yashicamat for less than I was quoted for

insurance for the Rolleicord. So I will have a really nice TLR to use on holiday without

worry, and my Rolleicord stays away from the risk of travel damage for more safe journies.

I have been using my 10D in the rain, snow, dust, howling sand (the kind that erodes your

skin raw), sea spray, and a dog even slobbered all over it. It's fine. My theory is that all the

accumulated crap that it's been exposed to has filled in the minute cracks and seams on the

camera making it semi-weatherproof. Or maybe I'm just lucky.

There is nothing more sad than a camera that doesn't get used. I felt the same way about my 20d until I got caught in a snow storm with it. I wouldn't have taken it out in that weather, but since I was already there...

I realized that I would have missed out on a bunch of photos from that session alone, not to mention all of the future times that I wouldn't have brought it out.

Cameras are tools. And you'd be one too if you didn't use them as such.

"...nothing more sad than a camera that doesn't get used..."

So true. I use them anyway, however I'm getting sick of cleaning, putting_in_the_bag sort of thing. Unfortunately one can never get too casual with current Canon dSLRs because of their tendency to accummulate dust on the sensor (sick of cleaning)... My film SLRs are-truly low maintenance - no cleaning required.

Most of the better lighting in landscape/nature/travel photography happens in adverse weather conditions. If you don't photograph then, you will miss a lot of good photo opportunities and images.

So my sentiment is different from yours. I buy the tool that gets the job done, in my case a 4 year old EOS 1V. And I have used it in adverse weather conditions since day one. It once stopped working properly while camping in the Empty Quarter of Oman, but nothing a CLA couldn't fix.

Thanks Paulo. I'm mostly photographing people so the biggest threat to my equipment is spilt beer, food, ash and dust.

What you're saying reminds me my experience with cars. I bought a new car and for the first year I was paranoid about weather, where to park etc. Last month I bought a used car (ex demo, looks like new but it ain't) and I so relaxed about who parks next to me now and whether my kids wipe off sand off their feet on the beach... Life's good!

Y'know it's kinda funny.

<BR>The least looked after camera i've ever owned was also by far the most expensive.Since allmost day one i resolved not to stuff around worrying too much about my 300D.

<BR>I've climbed trees with it,ridden off road bikes with it hanging around my neck (no bag),taken photo's above water and generally left it lying around the house unprotected.

<BR>Oddly this seems to have worked out with only one accident to date-i tripped over it and kicked it accross a road (only two small scratches)

I get the concept but I don't let this get in the way of anything. What's the point of buying something only to worry about it constantly? There are good habits such as cleaning and maintenance, then there is excessive worrying. It'll only give you gray hair and ulcers.

I got my camera gear insured more than my car so I don't have to worry about it. If it breaks, drops, stolen, fire, etc - I get a new one.

A bad workman does not respect his tools. Maintenance is a quick and easy task if is part of your standard routine. A camera doesn't need to be babied, just respected if you wish to get the best out of it.

Imagine a carpenter with seven fingers (because he'd chopped the other three off using blunt tools) who brought a new chisel every time the last one he brought went blunt. The chisel makers would love him but he would be a poor carpenter.

My well maintained 10D and D60 are still working great for me!