Thanks/Additional information

j._wayne_green

i wanted to say thanks to everyone for the advice and helpful tips. Before i

agreed to shoot my wife's best friends wedding i STRONGLY suggested that they

hire a pro (they can afford one). They reasoned against this with a few valid

points. Much to my wifes dismay i have no intentions of doing this for a

living. i prefer to make my living doing other things and keeping photography

as a passion. i do work part of the year doing portraits. i have purchased a

mid range zoom, a SB-800 and am waiting on the bracket, additional flash etc.

Also, thanks for the tip on the better flash for the D100 backup camera. Now,

any suggestions for settings to someone who is going to have to switch from

outdoors to indoors fairly quickly. Again, D200 Sb800 main, D100 SB-80 backup,

24-85 2.8, 18-200vr, 80-200 2.8. Thanks, you guys are awesome.

Well, if you want to go mindless, shoor RAW and set the D200 for auto white balance (which will usually get you close) and auto ISO. The D200 allows you to set limits on minimum shutter speed and maximum ISO so you should have any nasty surprises. Can't say about the D100 as I don't have one. But for a non-pro wedding shooter, make it easy on yourself and let the camera do the work.

Use D-TTL for outdoor fill flash. Program the FUNCTION button to stop the flash from firing when pressed (when you let the button up, it allows the flash to fire again). Use the D200 for pictures that may be enlarged a lot or have small faces (group formals, etc.) and for available light work. Use the D100 for flash candids (smaller file size for pix that don't need to be enlarged). Good luck!

Thanks guys, i still have about two months to get my ducks in a row, and am very excited to learn so new things(flash/lighting) but the reality is that i won't get down to a normal (40) hour work week until the end of the month. So, i want to learn some of the better ways to get better results, but if i get pressed for time i feel some kind of nearly auto setup(s) might be needed.

• 2 weeks later...

wayne - when is the wedding? hope it goes well. not sure if you are looking for suggestions, but if you are, and you aren't a seasoned wedding photographer, consider going with someone who has been doing it for a while to see how they go about the day. I assisted for a photographer or two before I started to begin being comfortable shooting a wedding...and the experience was very valuable.

cheers - conrad

www.conraderb.com

• 2 weeks later...
Conrad, i would really like to have the option of having somone to observe. Unfortunately, the couple are friends and i was volunteered by the wife. i also strongly encouraged them to hire a wedding pro, but for whatever reason they still asked me. Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this i was playing in Alberta.