data recovery from lexar 2gb 80x pro CF

alexis_scherl

hi all-

i shoot a 5D, and i only found out about the lexar/canon firmware incompatability

with the 2GB cards AFTER one of mine got corrupted. i can't access the files.

i have tried 3 data recovery programs, mac's disk doctor, data rescue pro, and lexar's

recovery software (which does recover deleted files off my other 2GB card with no

problem). all programs get completely frozen on the same bad data block 3% into the

scan, and essentially crashes the programs.

i spoke with technical service at lexar and i can send it in and have them attempt data

recovery. has anyone had a similar problem, hopefully with success stories to share?

i'm trying to figure out whether i should send it in to lexar or try a data recovery

service. not sure what to do at this point.

and this, the same week my external hard drive fails. bad week for data, apparently.

thanks,

alexis

Here's another program to try. The trial version worked for me in recovering deleted pix from an SD card. Dunno if it will work around a data error. Good luck!<p>

"Compatible with SmartMedia, CompactFlash, MMC, Memory Stick, Microdrive, SD, xD Cards, PCMCIA, VideoCD, DVD, etc, PHOTORECOVERY recovers images, documents, video, music or just about anything that can be written to digital media device."<p>

<a href=http://www.softscout.com/software/Technology-Infrastructure-and-Network/Data-Recovery/Memory-Card-Data-Recovery/PHOTORECOVERY-for-Digital-Media.html>Download site</a>

W-w-w-wai--wait a second... Lexar/Canon incompatability?

Can someone shed some light on this for another 5D owner who did his homework, but apparently the *wrong* homework? What is this issue? What does it impact? How frequently (if not 100% of the time) does it rear its head? What, precisely, happens?

I'd appreciate any feedback - here, or at msimons@cppmail.com .

Much obliged, one and all.

-Mike

Alexis,

I hope this will help.

Canon 20D w/ Lexar 1GB & 2GB - 80x professional C.F. Cards & Lexar's Image Rescue 2.0

I was able to recover JPEG & .CRW files with both defective & corrected versions of the

Lexar cards using Image Rescue 2.0 This was also prior to the latest version 2.0.3

Might your problem lie here: Image Rescue 2.0 - (make sure that...)

1. Preference's "Check" JPEG & .CRW Canon.

2. Do not use a Firewire connection.

3. I have encountered problems when trying to recover with OS Tiger. Try using Windows

XP

I hope it helps.

Steve

Actually if you read the articles (both canon and lexar) and little between the lines, it's basically any "in production" Canon DSLR. I would assume the 5D would also have this issue with the Lexars since it seemed to be a problem that Lexar was fixing and not Canon.

I had the same card, and went on assignment in another country right at the time Lexar was doing the recall. It got corrupted, and several hundred pictures were not retrievable using any software I had, including Lexar's recovery software. This was around June last year. Obviously I got into a lot of problems with my client because of this.

I sent the card to Lexar. Initially their normal recovery attempt did not work either. I pressed on with emails and phone calls. Then it was explained to me that they had to "escalate" it to a higher level of recovery by engineers in a different department than customer support. These engineers had to open up the card, and could only work whenever they have time other than their regular schedule to work on my card.

I was about to give up and tell them to send the card back to me so I can hire someone else to do the recovery and pass along the bill to Lexar. Then after 6 months, Lexar finally sent me 2 CDs with everything recovered.

The person I contacted and kept regular calls to check status was Demeris Williams, a boss of customer support. You might want to call Lexar at ask to speak to him directly.

One good thing about Lexar is Demeris said "We never give up." But then, it can take a damn long time.

<p>Jim, look at the date of the problem. Lexar said they fixed it in June of last year. I believe Canon's firmware updates for the various affected bodies were also released last summer (I'm too lazy to check, but my vague recollection from back then was that Canon also released firmware updates). Since both parties knew of, and fixed, the problem with then-current models before the 5D was released, it's more likely that everything in production right now is already fixed.</p>

to steve-

thanks for the suggestion. i tried USB 2.0 connection on a mac running 10.2.8 instead

of my mac which is 10.4.4 and needs version 2.0.3 of image rescue. version 2.0

didn't crash at the bad data block, but unfortunately still only recovered the first 11

images before quitting. there are 150 images on the card. oh well. i don't actually

have the software for pc as i received a .dmg image file which will install only on

macs. at this point i'm just going to send it in to lexar. fortunately i still have the

other 5/6 of the shoot so i'll have something to hand over to the client in a timely

manner, with maybe some more files to be delivered in a not-so-timely manner. oh

well. my other 2GB is in the mail for a replacement.

it's a little frustrating to think that when you register your cameras with canon they

are supposed to send you important email updates. i can't believe i didn't hear a peep

about this problem. sigh.

alexis

• 2 years later...

I had the unfortunate similar experience of shooting today with my 5D only to find

about 75% of my shots missing when it was download time.

I have read everyone's inputs and got Image Rescue 2.0 emailed from Lexar. At 65%

into the recovery process, with no files found, it crashed. I assume I should send the

card to Lexar.

If anyone thinks I should try something else first, that might resolve it more quickly

than sending to Lexar, please holler.

Thanks,

Laura

• 3 weeks later...

I had this same problem just yesterday. A google search led me here. After reading all the responses I headed down to the local camera shop to ask about CF cards (I was told that Lexar works with Nikon and SanDisk works with Canon). On the advise of the guy there, I also bought a card reader (I've always just downloaded from the camera). When I got home I plugged the card reader into my Mac, stuck the Lexar CF card (that just lost 60 images of my puppy playing) into it and in less than a minute image browser found 282 images on the card that had been 'lost' and never downloaded from the past three years.

I guess when it was one or two images I never really noticed, but 60 pictures of a Rhodesian Ridgeback in action... I realised there was a problem.

Technical info: Canon Rebel XT and Mac PowerPC G5 running OS10.4.11

• 3 months later...

I have a similar probem with a 1G 80x Lexar and a Canon 5D. I got Image Rescue 3 and it found and save the files that I

had deleted to make room for more pics. It did not find the 700+ pics of shorebirds I took over a period of five days at the

beach in Florida last week. When I try to do the back up of the disk it hangs at 6 minutes left. The simple diagnostics with

the program find a boot sector error. I think my mistake was filling up the card to the very last image. It shows 0 on the

card (like it should), and when I try to review the LCD says "folder number full" I have a new I-mac and I also tried it on my

old XP box with a new card reader I bought after the download with the camera's USB cable did not work. Also, tried on

Latitude laptop and HP printer.