About to buy first rangefinder, need advice

scott_mcmillan

Scott - you might want to look into the Bronica RF645 if you decide that you like rangefinders. It's small and compact (not much bigger than a Leica). Limited lens choices, though. The 45mm and 65mm are readily available, but the 100mm is rare and worth watching and waiting for (lucky me - I have one!). And the prices are quite good. FYI - it is no longer manufactured, but neither is the Leica CL.

Let me give you my resounding endorsement for the Minolta Hi-matic 7sII. I have two of these and they are quite sharp little shooters. Very compact and easy to carry as a daily camera. In fact, I do just that with mine. I also have an Olympus 35 RC that is about the same size but has a slower lens. My little son uses that one and even managed a 1st place in the Utah State Fair with a shot taken by this camera. But, it side by side tests with the Minoltas it gets blown away. The Minoltas have better sharpness, contrast and color.

I brought the Yashica RF mentioned else where and have had excellent fun with it. It is

fundamentally Aperture priority but with judicial use of the ISO rating you get exposure

compensation and also knowing when the camera hits fastest shutter speed 1/500th you

can sort of control it manually.

My point is that it makes you think again and experiment. the batteries are a bind to get

and a conversion to CR2 will cost you as much as the camera. Build quality is excallent,

and glass is more than fine, and a little warm as well.

If you're looking for an expandable unit, The Bessa r2 is great, though personally I would

recomend that you get the Mamiya 7ii. How about relighting the old flame with an old

Nikon RF? I think there is a generic 2000 model thats pretty good.

With your setup, you should consider the Nikon FM3a, it takes all your glass (sort of) The

Bessa is closest to the feel of the Nikon

I personally will buy the hasselblad Xpann 2 in August (bonus time) with its 45mm lens.

the versatility of panoramic makes this a purpose built rangefinder, that you would walk

up Kilimanjaro with.

To clarify, thinking with your head buy the Mamiya7 its a reasonably small camera and tiny

by medium format terms, versatile enough to shoot onto 35mm as a panoramic, and

indestructible, for the time expense and effort in using film, you should be shooting with

the tool that gives you the best quality...

If you think with your heart... hasselblad xpann.

Thought I'd let you guys know how things were going. While looking for the Canonet, I happened upon a Konica Auto S3 that has been refurbished. It has been converted to 1.5 volt, the seals have been replaced, and the meter has been repaired, along with the usual clean and lube. The seller claims to have the receipts for all this and will send them with the camera. I realize that this camera is larger than what I have been looking for, but I just couldn't pass it up! What are your thoughts on this camera?