HP8250 for A4 inkjet film

Hi,

I�m an amateur photographer based in London. I shoot film (Mainly

B&W) using Nikon FM3A with fix lenses. I�m still not ready for

digital, don�t know anything about editing software, printers, etc.

However, now I need to scan some of my B&W photos/film and print

them on A4 inkjet film (for a Fine Art course on silkscreen

printing).

I bought the Epson 3490 scan and now I have to buy a printer. I need

that the printer delivers good blacks and is easy to use. The price

of the HP8250 looks ok because I won�t be using the printer that

much. Do you think it will do the job? Any suggestion?

Thanks and don�t crucify me for still using film�

Ramon

Ramon, I have the 7960 which was the model before the 8250. HP does a great job with B&W printing. Especially right out of the box. Given your limited digital processing knowledge, I think you will be fine with this printer.

BTW, no one is going to crucify you for still using film. Many of us still do.

Jim

Ramon:

You will enjoy the 8250. It uses individual ink cartridges and seems to be an ink miser. The cartridges are about $10 apiece from HP. They are cheaper if you buy the set from Sam's Club.

Unlike the 7960, the 8250 mixes the inks to get variouss shades of grey. It uses the yellow cartridge more quickly than the others followed by the light magenta cartridge. Prints are glossy and good looking on glossy HP paper. I haven't used it except on glossy and semi-gloss papers. It is much quieter than any of the other printers. I don't really hear it at all and it is billed as the'fastest" ink-jet printer in the world. I don't care about that so I've never timed it but it is fast.

Conni

Ramon,

Check a B&W print from 8250 printer before buying it. Or take a scanned picture to an HP showroom and ask them to print it.

I never liked the B&W output from any HP printer except the 8450 which I bought last year (no longer in production). The 8450 (or 8453 in some countries) is far better in B&W (due to the dedicated grey ink set) Black and white costs arent the cheapest. But it rivals the finest prints I used to make in the darkroom. I have duplicated neutral, sepia tone, John claridge style of split tones, Thiocarbamide/Hydroxide tones all very succesfuly with this printer.

Either go with the 13 inch 8750 (500 dollars) or buy an 8450 (still available 159 dollars from bhphotovideo) and a bunch of grey 100 photo packs (still available), count about 25-30 A4s per cartridge. The 100 cartridge is still avialble because it is used in other printers (Deskjet and the smaller 4x6). I think the 8450 is discontinued maybe to follow Epsons path and keep high quality B&W at 13 inch and wider

Thanks for your help. I've bought the printer and I'm going to collect it now.

Zeyad. Silkscreen printing is an art technique used mainly by Pop Artist (Andy Warhol, etc) however it can be used for many thing such as printing on T-shirt, handbags, etc...

Thanks again

Ramon