belongs to a friend of mine.

I will be mainly using it for 35mm negatives,the odd slide and maybe

some Xpan negatives .

Does anyone have experience with either or preferably both of the

above and a preference for either with regards to scan quality, ease

of use of the film holders etc?

Cheers

Eric

For your specific purpose a Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro would be the best option. It

scans 35mm and Xpan at non-interpolated resolution of 4800 dpi. It also comes with a

very nice glass holder for this purpose. The machines you mention stop at 4000 dpi.

If you want to limit your choice to the Nikon 8000 and the Polaroid SS 120, keep in mind

the differences: the Nikon performs best in the fine scanning mode or otherwise there is

the danger of a nasty ghosting effect. The Polaroid has a softer lightsource and is

therefore less gritty in its scans. For the Polaroid medium format holder I produce a

Scanhancer

model too, in order to further improve tonal gradients and grain smoothness. The Polaroid

lacks ICE dust removal, which I think is its biggest shortcoming.

Thank you for your advice Erik.

I was not looking at the Konica Minolta Scanners as Konica Minolta have just pulled out of

the photo business, as you know.

I suppose that this should also rule out the Polaroid SS120 too, which thinking logically it

will.

Having looked at your web site and the info on the Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro, it does

indeed look like a great machine, however it is around 1800 UKP or almost $3200 for a

new one, and on many sites here in the UK it is listed as discontinued and the last one on

E-bay UK went for over 1000 UKP or almost $1800.

I have just seen one go on E-bay US for $750 but that was just for the actual scanner

itself, nothing else, not even the power cord.

I guess that i will keep on looking until i find something that takes my fancy at the right

price here in the UK.

Cheers

Eric

Yes, the Minolta Multi Pro holds its value much better than any other scanner model, if we

look at used prices. The discontinuation (although it can still be found new here and there)

has only pushed up the price. After owning this unit for over three years I am getting better

scans every time I scan now. I have made a number of subtle modifications to it which have

improved it a lot. Most of these mods I have published for others to copy into their own

machines. I'm afraid a lot of Multi Pro owners are going to hold on to their babies for the

upcoming years.