what would you buy?

john_pyle1

what would you buy next???

I have a canon 20d with 580 flash with gary fong's lightsphere

lenses are 70-200 2.8,17-40,24-70 2.8 canon L lenses

Now I photograph sporting events, weddings, portraits, social events, etc... I have two weddings coming

up...outdoor ceremony, indoor receptions 100-200 guests at both. Also have bar mitzvah coming up too.

Should I get a compact battery kit for my 580 flash to keep from going throu AA Batteries left and rightOR

a flash bracket? Which one and what kind?

HELP ME DECIDE!! Thanks

presume you are using NiMH batteries in the flash, and you find you need to change batteries too often. I use an SB800, which is comparable, and get 100 to 200 pops from one set of 2500 mAH batteries.

A battery-replacement pack requires an adapter for the battery compartment on the flash, which is often jury-rigged. It tethers you with a cable, but does not improve the recycle time, and typically only has the capacity of 2 or 3 sets of AA batteries. Personally, I'd rather keep extra AAs in my pocket (not loose, unless you want to perform a dance for the guests if one gets shorted).

You would get much more benefit from an high-voltage pack like a Quantum Turbo, which charges the capacitors directly and only uses AA batteries in the flash for control power. The recycle time goes down to 2 seconds for a full-power pop, and nearly instantaneous for others. If the 580 is compatible, this is the way to go for events.

Beyond that, you might take some power-saving measures. The Lightsphere soaks up a lot of power - fine for indoors but a waste when the flash is used as fill outdoors. I only use a diffuser outdoors when working close in with a wide angle lens. This would help extend your battery power.

A bracket will give you better shadow control, and perhaps less chance of red-eye. This is a different issue, and really not an either/or situation. It is a PITA to use a bracket, but gives better results than mounting the flash in the shoe. Using a diffuser cap on the flash is often sufficient. I use a Lightsphere and bracket with my Q-flash, but a Sto-Fens (or Nikon) cap for everything else, sans bracket.