the use of lightdiffusers in natural light

anna_nielsen

hi. Last year i did a wedding shooting in naturel light. On some of

the pictures the coupple had almost cloesed eyes because of the hard

sunlight -not pretty!.I use a big Californian Sunbounce reflector.

Anyway someone told me to get a lightdiffuser on a boom arm So ive

looked on a skylite (latolite i think) kit.It contains a light

diffuser with a lightstop on either a 1 1/4 or a 3/4.My question

is : how do choose the right diffuser with the right lightstop -

dosent have to be skylite panels. Or maybe there is a third and

cheaper solution to this problem.Thanks

In this situation, a wedding, I agree with Steve. You really don't have time to be setting up (if your "capturing the essence" of the wedding) reflectors and the like. Group shots or singles can turn out beautiful if the sun is on their back with you filling with a flash with a small softbox or just with regular flash. The effect will be a beautiful halo, from the sun, around their heads and their eyes will "almost" always be open with a perfect exposure from the flash.

Reflectors, both subtractive and additive, should be used for the engagement and wedding portrait if your doing it outside. Anna, if you have an assistant helping you, it is more effective if they are outfitted with the extended arm that has a radio slave and a second flash... at the wedding. I say a radio slave because there are ALWAYS people that are behind you shooting the groups and if you have a regular slave, their little flash will be setting yours off... more expensive, yes but certainly more effective/beautiful as your end result!

hi and thanks. Im a bit surprised to hear that reflecors and diffusers in naturel light is the last solution. I thought that flash light really gave a hard unflattering light. some time ago i saw som wedding pic. done with only reflectors and diffusers and they really were beautyfull - very,very soft light indeed.Anyway my intention is to shoot this wedding with the tools i talk about(and totaly without fillflash if possible) here so if anyone could tell me something about the diffuseres and their transluctent specifications i will be gratefull. thanks

Anna, in my intent in saying what I said was to "keep it simple" (aka KISS). This enables you, as the photographer, to concentrate on what is happening with "their wedding" and not to be to disruptive or having to lose some shots due to the fact that you have to dissassemble. I have shot hundreds of weddings and each one is different... most all are fun. For me, keeping my load light (that's not to say I don't bring extras of everything... I do!) is key to being able to shoot hundreds of frames and getting comments from the bride like "..where were you, you got so many things that I didn't see, these are beautiful...". There have been so many shots that I was so glad to get and the result is that I have a client base because they remember the shots and how I was "almost invisible" that when they have their first anniversary, birth of their baby, ect. What I have in my hands are my Bronica SQA, bracket, Norman or Quantum flash with a softbox (usually the 12"x16" Photoflex) and that yeilds a beautiful soft light. I have even been approached by some other shooters when I was doing a wedding in a large (multi room, wedding function center) hall. They started asking about the softbox ect. but my point is, you are there to capture "their day". By all means, use what you want but be proficient with it before hand. For me, I like to be unassuming and unobtrusive but be there for that fleeting moment in time that I fell obligated to capture!

We all know that sunlight is harsh but using it to our advantage is what must be done. The nice thing about using strobes and a leaf shutter, I can regulate both independently where as with reflectors ect,... yes you can change the contrast of your subject... you also have to very well aware and properly place yourself for an appropriate background.

I just want to ask... with this boom arm, you are planning to have an assistant with you? You might also find, when using your reflectors, people will have to squint because of the reflection... every situation is different. Anyway, Take a look at Photoflex's (Calumet and most other decent photo stores carry them) Litedisc. They come in silver/gold, white/silver, sun/silver and also diffusion disks of ALL shapes. The nice part about these, they collapse down to a third their size and can be carried in a larger size camera kit.

hi Scott. thanks for a very nice answer. Seems like you just gave me something to think about. If you reed this maybe you can explain to me what kind of softbox you use on what kind of flash - does it fit other brands of flashes ect?. And yes i will take a look at the reflectors you surgest.And no i dont have an assistent - i am a littel bit optimistic in planing on the driver to help me.But now i dont know - thats the good thing about these forums - you start out with an idea of your own and sometimes end up with much different solution. thanks

Hello Anna, For weddings, I use an extra small softbox with my Norman 400B's and my Quantum's... I think they are the X's and have a 400w/s powerpack. Softboxes tend to fit almost all "pro" lights but all you need is the appropriate speed ring. Thankfully, the same speed ring fits both the Quantum's and the Norman heads. For what it is worth, I really prefer using the Normans because the head is so light. After a full day of hoisting my SQA and the Quantum... well my wrist are a bit sore. Some people will think that the Normans are a pain... fully manual but if your used to it, it's a piece of cake! f11 for generally most of my shooting and the softbox makes it so soft and forgiving... the action is further back, open up a stop, closer... close down!