Macro comparison

dave_gebhardt

I had Nikon a AF Micro (Macro) Nikkor 60 mm f/2.8. Optically it was excellent and was very good for reproduction work. But I am mostly shooting nature and the working distance was simply too short for me. I also did not like the fact that the focal length is getting even shorter with increased magnification. I sold it and bought AF Micro-Nikkor 105 mm f/2.8. It has the same drawback - changing focal length with magnification. According to Bj�rn R�rslett the focal length at magnification 1:1 is only 60 mm but you have still much more working distance then with 60 mm AF Micro Nikkor.

I have both the 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor and the 105/2.8D Micro Nikkor, and both are fabulous lenses. I checked the Sigma 105 as well, and found that to be an excellent lens, but was more impressed with the build quality of the Nikon lenses. I decided that these lens are so well build that I was willing to risk buying a carefully selected second hand lens. I was not disappointed with the lens I got for 1/2 retail.

Locally I have seen mint non-D 105's on sale for $400 but I only saved about $75 by buying a used non-D60 Micro-Nikkor. I read something on the Naturfotograf and Ken Rockwell websites concerning differences between D & non-D when using off-camera flash with the Nikon D1X. If I misunderstood anything, I apologize in advance for adding to the confusion; maybe better informed forum members are willing to elucidate; I hope that this is no longer an issue with more recent models such as the D70s & D200. Placing my Sunpak 555 close to the subject, 2 ft. in front of the camera, wasn't a problem with my former N8008 film camera when using almost any kind of manual extension tubes and even enlarging lenses.