Last weekend I tried to take a picture of a slihoutte mountain with

twilight sky. I noticed that, my lens at 70 mm was not able to take

picture.

<p>

Lens was on AF.

<br>

Aperture was tried between f4 to f16

<br>

Shutter speed was changed to even 4 to 8 seconds?

<p>

What am I doing wrong? The low exposure warning would not go away?

<p>

Thank you and regards,

Neither ISO, aperture, nor shutter speed directly affect AF (except as they reveal the light condition). The maximum aperture of the lens has a strong effect on AF performace.

AF should lock on to a strong contrast such as a silhouette but you need to position the AF point directly over the transition since neither sky nor mountain will carry sufficient contrast to allow for AF. As other have mentioned you should be able to manual focus in such a situation. Actually I find the AF on the 20D to be superb. Using a fast lens it will AF in very little light provided the subject has sufficient contrast.

What mode were you using? If you use one of the auto modes it might stop you taking a photo if the shutter speed is too slow (I don't know I don't use them).

in that light you probably don't want to be holding your camera. and if you are tripod mounting the camera (which you probably should be doing if you have that little light). then the mirror lock up should be used and manual focusing. and timing for that matter. there is no reason to us any automatic functions, at that point. and set the f stop to f8-f11 and go ahead and be frivoulous,, use ISO 100. you will get some good long exposures then!

but if you want to use the auto focus.. then you are on the right track now.