h'blad C lens self timer

maarten_van_viegen

how can i use the self timer on the C lens?

this morning i tried a shot on polaroid film,

but it came out black.

so i put it on self timer and took a shot with the back removed.

when pressing the button, the curtain opens, but closes right away on

releasing the button. the timer is now still buzzing to open the leaf

shutter. the shutter opens when the curtains are closed, so no exposure.

Is there something else i should do?

thanks,

The solution is depending on the type of camera body you're using: Older bodies have a little "O-T" lever at the shutter release button that has to be set prior to exposure or you could use a cable release to keep the rear shutter flaps open for the duration of the selftimer sequence. Without this the rear flaps will instantly close once you take your finger off the shutter release.

In order to use the self timer on the lens, you must keep the two auxiliary shutters in the camera body open until the self timer in the lens winds down and the lens fires. To do this, move the small lever behind the release button on the camera body to the "T" position before pressing the release button. Then, when you press the release button, the two auxiliary shutters in the camera body will stay open. After the lens fires, move the small lever back to the "O" position.

"T" stands for time, and "O" stands for operate.

Another way to accomplish this is to use a cable release. Depress the cable release button, and hold it in until the shutter in the lens fires. Then let go of the release button on the cable release.

www.david-odess.com

You need an Hasselblad older than 501 CM or 503 CW, the older body have a little lever attached to the shutter release! You must slide the lever to the T position before pushing the shutter release, this allow the shutter release to remain pushed; after the shot slide back the leverer and the auxiliaru shutter on the body close.

The newer model (501 CM, 503 CW) do not have this simple but useful feature. It is useful for long exposure too, you don't need a cable release with lock position.

To make it clear, you can use the lens pre-release timer on newer bodies, including 200 series and 501/503. A cable release is needed, though. For me, both the winding indicator and the button lock are somewhat obsolete features and not worth to much. However, Gliding Mirror and TTL flash metering are helpful to control light and final picture.