N80 or F100

cbohan

First let me say that you guys are great! Only hours go by and I have a dozen insightful

responses.

I'm a photography student buying a Nikon SLR, but I'm stuck between buying a F100 and a

N80. The N80 would fit my needs now and costs less. However, the F100 has room for

growth at 3x the price of the N80.

Thanks for your replies! You're making my life easier!

Chris

Since Chris is a photography student, there is no easy and simple answer to this question. If the budget is limited, the N80 is certainly a good enough SLR and I would rather spend any extra money on lenses and film. Moreover, a DSLR could be in your near future. If so, I question whether it is a good idea to spend more money on a better film body.

Perhaps your faculty is in a better position to answer this question.

No question as far as I'm concerned. If you ignore the advice that digital is the only way to go (there's always someone who throws that into a film question) go with the F100. At today's used prices the F100 isn't that much more expensive and if you get the N80 in a couple of months you will be reading up on all the things the F100 can to that the N80 can't do that you wish you could do.

At first blush the N80 may seem like the ticket but then you're restricted to the more pricey AF G lenses that do not have an aperture ring. Given the price of very nice, used F100's I find the answer to be pretty simple...and have at the bargain deals on MF lenses! And w/out having to purchase the N80 battery pack (which is the MB-16; the N80 alone, no battery pack, requires the special, non-rechargeable and pricey CR-something-or-another) the F100 takes 4 AA's...get yourself some rechareables and fire-away as you well should being a photo student.

I appreciate the feedback, whether it be encouragement or criticism. I've researched for a few weeks now. I found the N65 was a good deal, but left me no room to explore. The N80 was a step up, but still had limitations which could cause regrets down the road. The F100, although more expensive, has more capabilities and opportunity within. Two of my photography teachers recommended the F100 if I could afford it. I hesitated because I thought I couldn't afford it. But it's only money after all.

The descision is pretty simple now. Thanks.

Chris

I'm an N80 user. It's a great camera and has all the features you need. I think the F100 (sometimes referred to as a baby F5) has a metal chasis, its an "F" so better sealing and moisture resistance. and faster autofocus. The N80 is NOT restricted to any lens type I shoot with 2.8D lenses and do not own a "G". If you are a student, buy the N80. If it falls into a toilet buy another one. If you are slapping it on a credit card, thats another life lesson only experience teaches you - lay off them darn things. Buy an N80

Not even close... take the hit now and get an F100.

A lot better camera, plus a wider range of lens compatibility. Given all the manual focus lenses that are available in the used market, an F100 is the sweet spot in a used body right now.

Go to KEH.com.

Sorry I did not choose between the N80 & the F100 - I would go with the F100 if funds are not a problem; However - if buying an F100 precludes you from buying a good lens then I will suggest the N80. The N80 has selectable grid lines that may be helpful for learning from. Not sure about this with the F100.

I would like some more background on needs/budget/manual or AF etc.

Good Luck

If you want to spend $400, get a used F100. You will have no regrets with that camera other than the price. If you are on a budget, I would go for a used N90. For a super bargain ($50-$100) you might want to consider the N8008s. It has most of the N90 capabilities in a slightly smaller package at a slightly lower price.

If you are financing with a credit card and it's not a business expense, consider the total cost. Credit card interest rates will drive the cost up - perhaps making the F100 4-5x the cost of the N80. Personally, I think the N90s (used) is a camera whose capability far exceeds it's going price. And the "s" version allows you to use commonly available AA batteries.

N90s is about $150-$200 and is well reguarded. The F-100 is better and very well reguarded. I think you may be able to get one around $400. Will you get the benefits of the extra $200 before you start thinking about a digital camera ? How long will this camera be with you ? As a student, I would rather save the $200 for more lenses, since they can be used for most ANY Nikon and you'll probably have them longer than your first SLR.