New lenses

bennyboy

I was surprised to see a price of $2100 suggested for the 85/1.2L II. The old version sells for under $1500. I'd run out an buy an old one now if I wanted an 85/1.2L. E-TTL II and faster AF wouldn't be worth $600 to me. As far as I can tell there's no suggestion that the optics are different.

The EF-S 17-55/2.8 IS USM at $1150 seems to suggest that Canon won't be giving up on 1.6x sensors anytime soon.

>>Now that we're all thoroughly disapointed by the 30D<<

Why? If you own a 20D would 2 more mp really make a difference between a great shot and a mediocre one?

If you DON"T own a 20D then, the 30D is an excellent camera to buy!

I don't think Canon wanted current 20D owners, they want NEW buyers to step in.

Bob: Why are you surprised by the cost of the 85/1.2L?

All new lenses (post 17-40/4L) are released with a 50% markup relative to previous models. If there is no previous model. . .the lens will be released at 150% of expected cost.

$1500 * 1.5 = $2250. This new lens is therefore a bargain at $2150. :)

The 17-55/2.8-IS EF-S is an intruiguing offering. Yes, it signals a committement to 1.6 crop. I bet there are a number of people wishing this were a full blown EF lens.

The $1100 price point, basically the same as the 24-70/2.8L and a bit cheaper than the 16-35/2.8L is amazing. I honestly would have expected $1399 ((16-35/2.8) + $400 (for IS)) * 150% = $2700. ;) As it stands. . .this lens sounds like a viable alternative to the 16-35/2.8L. Which. . .from a marketing point of view is illogical.

Therefore. . .I have another theory. The 2.8L's are generally twice the cost of the 4.0L's. Maybe. . .just maybe.. . this lens is truely simply a faster version of the 17-85/3.5-5.6EF-S IS. So therefore. . .twice the cost of the 17-85/3.5-4.5 = $1100. (The 150% multiplier is already in the 17-85/EF-S price)

In other words: I expect prosumer grade performance, not pro performance for this lens.

<i>Giampi wrote:<br><br>

Why? If you own a 20D would 2 more mp really make a difference between a great shot and a mediocre one?<br><br>

If you DON"T own a 20D then, the 30D is an excellent camera to buy!<br><br>

I don't think Canon wanted current 20D owners, they want NEW buyers to step in.</i><br><br>

Well I certainly wont 'upgrade' to this excellent camera, I think its more likely to be tempting new entrants into the DSLR market, and for those that don't know anything about it, they're more likely to look at the numbers and get a D200. A real shame I think.

I am not totally disappointed by the specs of the 30D. However, it confirms a thought that I have had for some time regarding just how high will one need to go in terms of megapixels. The 22MP Mamiya has been on B&H site for months as "TBA" and I think they may as well remove it now as it will offer very little advantage to the average professional shooter in terms of cost vs picture quality. The digital age has made it possible to get very good prints of the sizes that most people require with a 6MP camera. With post processing noise reduction and interpolation, the print sizes can go even much larger.

The innovators of technology are driving the market to a great extent. Maybe we really dont need higher than the 8.2MP the 30D gives and Canon realizes this and so continues with this size.

You all be honest now, do you really need it? Are you buying a camera as a display toy or tool? Are your images suffering from low MP? How many jobs have you gotten in the last umpteen years that require more MP than your camera now gives? How many jobs have you not gotten because your camera just did not have the right MP rating?Would you have gotten a better shot if the damn camera was just 1MP higher?

The crop format is neither here nor there. Once the aspect ratio remains the same all is well. I have gotten so used to the 1.6 crop that it no longer matters. I think of this in a same way as 35mm versus medium or large format. It is good that Canon will retain the 1.6 crop as many of us will have invested in super wide lenses already. Also, there will be less confusion and loss where already acquired accessories for this format are concerned. Not a big deal, still get your good 8X12 aspect.

We ought to realise that digital has invariable given us much more flexibility in getting good images. And getting good images is what counts, whether taken with 1.6X, 1X, 1.3X,1.5X, 4MP, 6.3MP, 8.2MP, 12.4MP, 16MP or 22MP.

With those thoughts in mind, I went out and got another brand new 10D from B&H for $800. Loving it; works perfect for my projects.

With the frequency with which some forum members post messages regarding what are the best camera specs, I wonder if they ever get a chance to take pictures, or have they been just been buying the latest camera to replace the one collected last season.

Just my thoughts.

It's time to buy one or more of the following lenses: 14 f/2.8L, 24 f/1.4L, 30 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.2L, 135 f/2.0L, 200 f/2.8L II, 16-35 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 17-40 f/4L, and 70-200 f/4L. A series of new L lenses that replace the current L lenses will have 40% - 60% markup.

<cite>As far as I can tell there's no suggestion that the optics are different.</cite>

<p>The 30D white paper says the optics are unchanged. The description and icons on the canoneos.com site (which is currently broken) disagree, and say that the lens both UD and aspherical elements, whereas the old lens doesn't have UD. I suspect the white paper is correct and the canoneos site is incorrect.</p>

<p>The new lens does feature the new circular aperture diaphragm design, so if you're shooting with the lens stopped down, you may get better bokeh. But if you're shooting stopped down, you probably ought to buy the 85/1.8 and save a heck of a lot of money. And I don't recall hearing complaints about the 85/1.2's bokeh; rather the opposite, actually.</p>

Hey Phillip- any ideas what happened to the rumoured 50L? So many people were sure it was coming out, as well as myself hoping it would. Or will we see it come out with the 1DS mk3 camera when its released?

The price of the new 85L seems high considering the lenses in it itself haven't changed. In Canada its already too expensive even with the old price.

In the canon white paper for the 17-55 f2.8 IS, it states that "As an EF-S lens, the new zoom is smaller, lighter and handier than a lens of similar specifications could be, but covers the full 24 x 36mm frame"

Ok, so is there going to be a EF-S body with a full frame sensor?

If the performance on this lens is similar to the performance of canon's other wide L zooms (not hard to do), then this lens might be the reason to never need a full frame camera (for me, anyways).

I think both the 30D and 17-55/2.8 are good news. They tend to indicate that the megapixel race is slowing down, and the market is indeed stablizing.

I have a 20D, and have no intention of migrating to the 30D. Not nearly the amount of relative improvement the 20D represented over the 10D (which I owned for 1-1/2 years). I hope the next model in the line (40D?) will have a larger, brighter viewfinder and full-time ISO display in the viewfinder. Even if it remains 1.6x and 8mp, it may be the next body for me. Maybe I'll never migrate to full frame, after all.

I just bought a 24-105, so have no need for the 17-55, nor do I wish I'd waited. EF-S lenses just aren't my cup of tea, no matter what their specs. My 17-40 is wide enough for me, and I usually only use it indoors with flash. Any longer/brighter, and my 24-105 takes over, with or without the IS engaged.

I don't see the 17-55 as a 1.6x equivalent of the 16-35, to which it was compared, above. Compares much more to the 24-70 on full frame.

I think the new 85/1.2 is great news for those in the market for it (and who can afford it), but I'm more than satisfied with my 85/1.8. I would very much like to see an updated 50/1.2-1.8 ring USM lens, however.

<i>I think both the 30D and 17-55/2.8 are good news. They tend to indicate that the megapixel race is slowing down, and the market is indeed stablizing.</i>

<p>

In what way is a stabilized market good news? I guess if you only want to buy *one* camera, and never upgrade: Yes! But if you want improved performance from the camera: No!

<p>

Regarding lenses: Buy the old 85/1.2L while you still can and beat the price increase! Hurry! 50% increase is big bucks in this class of lense!

<p>

As for the 17-55/EF-S: I am confused. Is this prograde optics or prosumer optics? The $1100 price tag makes me think "prosumer", following the old rule that a lens twice as fast (as the 17-85/EF-S) will cost twice as much.

<p>

Either way: I have no interest in EF-S lenses.

<i>Either you are repeating hearsay or you just broke your NDA.</i><p>

I'm not repeating hearsay because I only have time to spend on this forum. I don't think I broke my NDA for I don't even know what NDA is. By the way, does it have anything to do with DNA? I simply guess.<p>