Album Completion before intial meeting?

susan_flewelling

Does anyone complete the album before the bride and groom pick any

of the pictures. Before they actually see the photos themselves.

How exactly do you work that and does it seem to be time effective

(as well as look better). I have been toying with the idea but I am

not sure how to implement it. Also what is your turn around time on

the initial meeting and if you do a website do you put that up after

the intial meeting? Sorry lots of questions but as always I

appreciate your time in answering. Thanks Susan

after the wedding, I put the photos online. bride and groom select usually 40-80 of their faovrietes, depending on the size of their album. album is designed and they get a PDF proof. we make any changes, and they get a second PDF proof. from the day that they give me the list of images they want to the album in their hands, the entire process is around 6-8 weeks.

mostly done over email - pretty time effective, and it's a big selling point that THEY get to pick the shots. some places (ie. Italy) are notorious for photographers who are extremely picky, and they decide what is in your album.

Susan,

I've been in business for only a year, but I do initially design the album for my customers and so far they've loved it. I manage a photo lab so I get a good deal on prints, so I print one set of 4x6's of all of the photos for all my customers. This in itself ("you mean I really get pictures!") seems to draw old-school clients who aren't so excited about online or magazine style proofing. It also doesn't take me long to print the photos, so I go ahead and design the album (Flora Elite with slide-in inserts) with 4x6 pages only. I also print a layout showing what the photo #s are for each photo on each page. All the rest of the prints are put into a standard proof album. This is all delivered to the customer with 2-3 weeks of the wedding.

I do this for two main reasons. One, the photos have the most impact in their best presentation. I never think a wedding looks as good as I hoped when I'm flipping through a mountain of images. But, when the best are all together in a coherent design in a sleek album, the moments just shine. Two, I give the customers something nice that they can share with their family and friends as soon as they get the photos (and when they're most excited about them). This is good advertising for me.

Each package includes a certain # of enlargement pages (2-5x7s or 1-8x10), so when I deliver the album, I tell the customers to pick their favorites and I will enlarge those. I tell them I can either redesign the album with the enlargements included or they can keep the album as is and give the enlargements away as gifts. I also offer to switch out any photos that they don't like, so they have control over the design of their album.

I think I've done 7 albums so far and no one has changed their initial design. I like having control over design elements and honestly, most people enjoy not having to worry about the details. Plus, I always give those people who do want control, the option of having the album just how they want it. I post the web images within a week of album delivery. It may not be the most efficient system but it works well for myself and my customers. If you want more details, contact me.

Katie H

Your question is what Gary Fong's "One Step Ahead Tour" is all about. If at all possible you should try to view one of his seminars. It'll increase your revenue at least 50% if not 100-200%, by just doing 2 small things. I am very conservative and a tad skeptical, but I do know business....and Gary is right on...if you cant attent his seminar www.garyfong.com give me an email and we can later chat and Ican share a few of his ideas....One secret,,,,Your online album is the biggest revnue tool (dont give out proofs) you have at your disposal....a properly displayed album (before proofs are given) is your most extreme advanatge....barrydavis@sbcglobal.net

It seems like many of you make you own call on the album, meaning content and layout. Does it ever happen where the bride or her mom flips out because a shot of long lost uncle Mortimer and aunt Nell didn't make it into the book as a result of your discretion.

The whole album side of this industry intimidates the heck out of me and all of you make it sound like you nab 80 or so shots, run to Hallmark, get a book, and slap it together.

Susan its a bit of a side question but this whole album issue in any context is like the thought of having your teeth pulled by a dentist with bad breath.

I haven't seen any appreciation or traditional albums. It almost seems like the brides here in the midwest are hiring a photographer because thats what you havehave to do. Then they run around showing proofs. I don't know if is different for Delanza Carter or Schilling. I just fear the day when I have to do one of these.

Well I do traditional as well as flush mount. Almost all of my brides choose flush mount (this years count so far 22 flush mount 1 traditional). On traditional albums I would not design before hand. I recently added a new album to my line so I did a album of a recent wedding. I had the couple come in and look at the new album but their pictures were in it. They loved the album and went with it almost entirely. Only two changes were made to pictures chosen. Plus thsy bumbed up an additional 10 sides because of the album then bought parent albums. This was very easy but I am not sure everyone will be like that. I am not sure if I would have time to do this with every client and I do online website hosting so I wasn't sure if it was best to put that up first or album design first. I do think traditional albums have their place as well, but I get a lot of untraditional brides. Any thoughts

With digital style albums I mock up a quick layout to show them, I also think it presents the images in their best light. We then work with the mockup together and change pictures around, add more etc.

With matted albums I get them to choose the images they like and then put them into the layouts available. Then I sketch it out on paper, show it to them and order.