Monitor Resolution

I am using 1280x960 which has an aspect ratio of 1.33333 while yours has an aspect ratio of 1.25. My digicams' images are in 1.3333 aspect ratio so if I do a slide show at full screeen I really do see images in full screen.

Whether the resolution is too high depends on the size of your screen. Mine is 19 inches so if yours is smaller you might not be able to see the details in an image which I can, assuming you don't zoom in.

1600x1200 on CRT 1900x1200 on wide LCD workspace is adequate (i use these values), the optimal resolution depends on your montior but i believe these resoulutions are optimal for digital workspace. it is important your height/widht is 4/3 or aka 1.3333 pixel ratio otherwise, what you get it is not exactly what you see.

Resolution should be appropriate to the screen size so that text is clear. For a 19 inch monitor, this is often 1024x1280. There is some freedom selecting the resolution for a traditional CRT, although some will work better than others. Interpolation and aliasing can make text hard to read and images harsh. LCD monitors must be used only at their native resolution for these reasons.

Most 20 inch LCDs are 1200x1600 resolution, which is too high, IMO, for reading text when the screen size is insignificantly larger than 19 inches. Text is important even when the main objective is image graphics. Even Photoshop has menus, not to mention text in normal file and O/S operations. Downrezzing to check web quality seems obsessive to me.

<B>Use the resolution that works for your eyes and your application.</b> Here I have about 19 machines and monitors from 5 to 21 inch. Some are just dumb monitors hung on the wall to peak at the RIP stations "work in progress". This guy is set to just VGA, ie 480x640 wioth a 19" monitor. The RIP program has a VGA sized screen, the monitor is large to allow one to see it far away. For retouching I use 600x800; 768x1024, 864x1152, and sometimes 1200x1600. After long days I use often the lower resolutions. This type of question is like asking when one should cut ones hair or grass, do what works.<BR><BR>If you run a web site, you audience might have users with older machines running just VGA ie 480x640, or even web tv. There are alot of folks that have monitors set to 600x800 still. Many times folks get sloppy when getting high speed internet, and create/ruin sites that were snappy with dialup by linking huge images with large file sizes.<BR><BR>If you do alot of retouching and photoshop work you will find what works for you. This may not be the same as the peanut gallerys numbers. They also may butter their bread different, fix their coffee different too. :)<BR><BR>

The funny thing about resolution is that you will find you own groove for you monitor and application, and another person will say to use a different setting. Folks get stuck in a rut when they have just have a few monitors and programs, and believe their little world fits other's applications. Take other's recomendations with a grain of salt. It is easy for somebody that doesnt do alot of photoshop work to preach that XXX by YYYY is best. What really matters is what works for you. Preaching that AAAA by BBBB is the best resolution is like dictating that a standard song or shoe style is best for a teenage girl, abit comical.

It sounds like you've got an LCD monitor, as 1280x1024 is probably the most common "native" resolutions for them. You're essentially forced into that resolution, since you lose quite a bit of sharpness if you use a lower resolution and higher resolutions aren't supported at all.

I find that 1280x1024 is just fine for photo editing. Before I got an LCD, I used 1152x864 on a 19-inch CRT. Since the viewable area on an LCD is larger than on a CRT with the same diagonal size, it's about the same.