variance in results between this and the more expensive Zeiss

version?

I'd just be using the camera as a 'snap-shot' tool for when I'm out-

and-about (loaded with slide film). I currently use a Hasselblad

SuperWide for this task, but there are times when I need a slightly

longer lens. I've never used an SLR before (it would obviously make

using graduated filters etc much easier), and the in-built metering

appeals.

If the price is right, AND it comes with a GOOD battery and charger, I'd say, fine, go for it. The lens is more than sufficient. The only issue is, replacement batteries are expensive and hard to find. There is an external battery pack that can use 10 AA cells, but that external adapter costs something over $300. As a Rollei 6006 user, I bit the bullet and spent the $300 on it.

Although, I might recommend that a 6006 might be a better choice than the 6003 because it DOES have interchangeable backs, either one is a fine camera.

It's a great camera. I bought mine used, and it came with the grip; but they are quite readily available. You are correct about the lack of multi-spot metering (but there is a multi-pattern setting available that is reasonably accurate).

Whether it's worth it or not depends on the price. Around $1000 US sounds reasonable but $2K would be too much, IMHO.

David, You don't say whether this is the 6003 PRO or not. I bought mine new, 3 years ago, and it is a fabulous machine. What is missing from the 6008 integral is the programmability (great for studio work; otherwise dubious). Otherwise, it is all there. It has probably the best meter in the MF business and should come with a handle (or get one; they really need it for handling). Here's mine.

You can change the back for the bulkier 6008 model, but you'll need a filmgate that snaps onto the body to accomodate the interchageable/slide back.

The screen is a good one, with grid, though not Hi-D (which I also have and am not that impressed with--either version).

The EL lens is fine, and takes common 67mm screw-in filters, as opposed to the Bay VI attachments of the Rollei/Zeiss/Schneider lenses. It is a wonderful lens and is different in only that it does not have the f-stop meter window on top.

The NiCad batteries are wonderful, and will hold a charge for an easy 6 mos--then you recharge it. A rebuild is $90 from Rollei in NJ--but you won't have to worry about that for years to come. Only if operating in cold weather should you pull the battery and put it in your pocket (or get the clever accessory cord that allows you do do just that, but stay hooked to the camera). These are the SAME batteries they are using in the newest AF model, so don't let anyone tell you they are substandard.

The earlier model 6003 may not include the handle, but should otherwise, be about the same. It's far and away better than anything Hasselblad offers, as it is in one complete package that will last forever.

The 6003 Pro seems to have been discontinued last year, but should carry a 3 year warranty.

In sum, it is the Rollei that was designed for just what you say you do--amateur work. And finally, the 6003 Pro is DIGITAL ready, if you ever want to go there (about $15K for a back).

http://d6d2h4gfvy8t8.cloudfront.net/995697-lg.jpg

Cheers,

Ray Hull

I've been shooting with a 6003 SRC for about 10 years, and then just got a body 6003 Pro

to have as a backup. I can't imagine needing more than this - the backs are

interchangeable, so if you want the thicker, heavier, harder to load fully interchangeable

6006/8 back, that's available. I like shooting 12 shots and changing out. Also, the thinner

6003 back is great for travel.

It has almost all the sophistication of the 6008, without the complexity. Given a fresh

battery and a good charger, 30 rolls won't dent the battery. Its a good system - needs the

fresh battery tho, as many out there are 5+ years old.

I don't htink I've ever seen better lenses than the Schneiders for this system. Start with the

EL, and move on up! Great gear.

Geoff

In 1999 I bought a new 6003 prof. It was broken witin a week, nothing worked anymore. It had to return to the factory to have some of the electronics replaced. That took a couple of weeks. Within a couple of months my 2nd hand 150mm lens broke down. Then I traded the whole stuff in. I lost my trust in the camera and the brand and went with Hasselblad. Never had 1 problem since.

Funnily enough my experience was the other way round. I was shooting in Iceland with 2

hasselblads (one was a back-up body) and they both locked up. I was lucky that I had an old

Plaubel Makina 67 in one of my bags. After that I dumped the 'Blads and got a camera that

has never let me down for 4 years now. I have three 6xxx bodies and 7 lenses. The

Schneiders are amazing.

Carl Glover

www.alephstudio.co.uk

I got rid of my Hasselblad gear for a 6006 mod2 and added a 6002 and finally a 6003 src1000. They have all performed extremely well. I can use the magazine or roll back on both the '06 and '03 but only the roll back on the '02. Batteries do very well. I do a 1 hr maintenance charge every three months to keep them topped up. I have EL and HFT lenses in various focal lengths which are all more than sharp enough for me and my clients. I've had two shutter jobs but they were on my oldest lenses. You should get the grip for a 6003. It's not expensive when you feel how natural the whole setup is. If you find the price is right you'll love the camera.

Thanks, everyone. It seems the Rollei 6000 series polarises opinion. The one I'm looking at is the 6003 Professional, and it is brand new so there shouldn't be any problems with worn-out batteries. I'm tempted to give it a go. I'm thinking about off-loading a mint Rollei 35 Classic, so I'll see what kind of trade-in I'm offered.

To decide which med. Form. to get I did just anything except diferential equations of third order. And I ended up with mamiya RZ67. When you crop 6x6 to get 'normal' mamiya RZ is nearly twice as big as hassy or rolley. Add that mamiya lenses 4.5/50 (apo quality for second spectrum order), macro 140 (apo quality too), and so on. Now add that it is indestructible and guess what. To make the camera out of work one really need huge brick to struck against the camera. And the bach is going on Linhof 679. What else one even and can imagine for MF camera. All that electronic I cannot see usefull for big and slow camera as MF. If one need fast reaction that comes with electronic I think that Leica R with low speed film and high speed lens will be better choice than any MF.