Posting files for print

Hi Everyone,

I am posting images on my site for my clients to download. I shoot resorts and

hotels. The images will be used for the web and for print. I use a 'canned'

hosting company which allows me to only post RGB high res JPG files.

My question is what RGB profile should I be embedding to get the most out of the

photographs when they go to print or the web.

I use Adobe CS on a MAC. I can select pretty much any kind of profile.

Thanks so much for your assistance.

Terry

sRGB tend to look better on the web. A lot of the labs prefer sRGB as well. Adobe RGB has bennefits when printing on your printer.

Not sure why you are posting on the web to download. If they are clients, are they not paying properly for these? If so, don't they deserve a disk? Client may want CMYK if they are going to press. These questions aside, sRGB would be my overall suggestion.

The Resort pays me once for shooting the images then I help in getting the images to the vendor wether it be a web developer in Georgia or a publication in the UK. If I sent out images on disc to every vendor who emailed me a request my life would be miserable. Instead the vendors for my client can go to a password protected site and get what they need. Then I can do what I need to do, take photos. So... long story short. Which profile should I save in to save the best color and best information. I have heard that sRGB doesn't provide the amount of info as Adobe RGB or ProPhoto RGB. Don't know.

Thanks

If the images are for display on the site, or if the client wants the images for display, sRGB is the choice. If the client is downloading files for print, the download files should be to their specification. If they haven't a clue, then AdobeRGB 'em. It would not astonish a technician at the press if he got a 300dpi tif or even psd. Been known to happen.

If the spec isn't jpeg, then this will not work for them. Since tiffs don't display in browsers, you would need to provide them as files, with perhaps a jpeg (sRGB) displayed and linked to the tiff file. If your hosting company won't permit this, find one that will.

As an alternative any competent website developer could build such a site to your spec. A simple clean design and code (css php, and tables for the galleries, say, and no custom java or flash) would give a good price-to-value. The hard part would be finding a hosting service that provides for the login and ftp area and what their charges are -- level of bandwidth for your site or number of transactions affect their fee schedules. Hosting services' concern for their security come into play, too.

Good Luck,

--

Don E