Inherited Leica M3 Seriel #776776

kathy_mussio

My grandfather just passed away and he was a huge photography buff

since the 30's.

I have Leica M3 Seriel #776776 with origional leather case. Camera

looks to e in perfect condition. What is the value?

(He also had a IIIc in original leathers box with several original

lenses and manual. I was going to post that question on another

thread as I am looking for value of that as well.)

Thanks.

Best bet is to search each product on ebay to see what they are selling for. Prices range greatly on all equipment based on condition. If you search the completed auctions, you can compare the last 4 or 5 auctions for each particular piece to get an idea of what they are going for.

Good luck

Kathy, I urge you not to sell your granfather's equipment. You may come to regret having done so for the rest of your days. I own and use two Leicas which I inherited from my father and they are among my most cherished posessions. I was young when he died and did not immediately appreciate their sentimental value.

Best wishes,

David

Kathy. I don't know anything about your relationship with your grandfather, what if any other items of his you might rather keep as mimentoes other than a camera, your interest in photography, or your financial needs, so I won't presume tell you whether or not to sell the camera because if you'd wanted that advice I figure you'd of asked for it.

As to your posed question, old Leicas have more monetary value than most cameras of that vintage, but by the same token Leica collectors can be very picky and most know these cameras intimitely. What looks perfect to you might not to a collector. Non-collector-quality Leicas sell for what the market bears. From what I've seen, if you wish to sell it your best bet is eBay. Dealers will give you around half what they plan to sell it for, and most shoppers on website classifieds seem to be looking for deep discounts (not bad for them, but bad for you). One thing I would do is have someone who knows these cameras take a look at it. Leicas do not take kindly to being stored for long periods of time, their lubricants dry up and things start to stick inside. The only cure is a complete teardown, which can cost several hundred bucks. Not an issue if you were going to display it in your house, but definately an issue if you plan to sell it to someone.