Square Trade Warrenty worthwhile for my new 10-22?

othursdayz

Just won a new Canon EF-S 10-22 lens from an authorized Canon dealer on eBay and

I was offered an extended warrenty for it for 3 years, for 65 dollars or so,

through a company Square Trade. I've heard the name before, but never anything

about it. Just curious to see if anyone has an experience dealing with them. I

don't think 65 dollars is unreasonalble price unless this company isn't very good.

This is their website;

http://www.squaretrade.com/buyersvcs/processWarrantyEntry.do?ccode=bs_war_direct

no. it is a financial tool to make money on you, otherwise it wouldn't be offered. if you read the fine prints, they probably (?) say that they will try to fix it first themselves, e.g. you pay shipping/insurance and don't see the lens for many months.

save your money.

The enthusiasm with which vendors try to sell you an extended warranty tells you almost everything you need to know. As a form of maintenance agreement on something that needs maintenance, like a car, they may possibly be worth considering. But on something that seldom goes wrong at all during its normal lifetime they are not only bad economics, but also (in the UK, at least) have often proved to be worth less than the paper they were written on when they actually were needed.

For what it's worth, Square Trade will never see a cent from me.

I recently had a disillusioning experience involving Square Trade and a crooked Brooklyn-based reseller who continues to operate on eBay.

Thankfully, eBay will soon have competition from Google, and I hope that resulting market forces will cause eBay to scrap farces like Square Trade -- in favor of actually reining in criminality, rather than supporting it.

If you want an extended Warranty, try Mack. They are a great company, very reliable. I have bought their warranties before. You can get them through theshutterbugonline.com or B&H. They have to be purchased within 30 days of the purchase of your equipment. I believe it would be 3 year ext. for around 60-90 dollars usa.