which body should i get?

hatcher_jon

Hey yall,

I am buying a new pro camera. I already have a rebel xt and love it. I am

between the 5d, Mark II N, 1Ds. I am mainly shooting sports photography, but

I want both fast fps and high megapixels. So which one should I get? Any

suggestions will help.

What do you mean by high megapixels? The 1D IIn isn't going to give you more absolute

resolution than you have, while the 5D and 1Ds won't give you the framerate.

Which is more important?

For sports, I'd guess framerate. That means the 1D II, not the 1Ds.

What kind of speed do you really need? Would a 30D work?

First lets assume that you do in fact mean the 1Ds rather than the 1DsII. If you crop from a 5D or 1DS to match a 1.6x sensor like the 30D then the 30D will be very close or out do the larger sensor. You can do the math to see how close. Also the 30D will beat the 1DII in resolution assuming cropping of the 1DII to match the 30D sensor.

The advantage of the 1DII is an extra 3fps over the 30D and more importantly higher burst rate and although I did not check probably faster write speed so that after your burst you can continue more quickly. These are the reasons the 1DII is considered the best sports Canon DSLR.

I'm a budget minded person and hence the comparisons to the 30D. I am not a pro sports shooter so I would not be able to justify the 1DII so the 30D is a very good second sports option. I thought the 20D would be fine but while it does have the same 5 fps the 30D has significantly higher burst rate and again probably higher write speed. At $1000 the 20D is still very tempting.

The 5d and 1Ds are more suited to wider focal lengths rather than telephoto focal lengths. Before someone screams at me I mean that having a 1.6 or 1.3x body is like having a teleconverter built in. The resolution of the 1DSII should outshine all of the above at any focal length, but of course not up to the speed of the 1DII.

Good luck.

Does that help?

If you are shooting pro sports the Mark11N is the way to go. It is fast at 8fps and it is tested and sealed. If you are not pro, like me, the 30D is an awesome camera at 5fps. Both are 8 mp. How large are you going to print? I have made 24x36 from my 10D, and they are good quality.

If you are shooting to make money the mark11n will be a good investment. If you are not, the 30D is more than enough. Shooting sports the frame advance is usually more important than megapixels.

I have been having the same debate with myself. I am not making any money right now so ordered the 30D.

Best of luck to you!

What kind of sports? You might not need 8 fps. You deffinately don't need the 1Ds, or the 5D...Those are not sports cameras. So that leaves you with the 1 D Mk IIn, or the 20D / 30D. Based on your post, I would say go for the 30D...You don't seem to have the experience, to know what you need, so take the money you save on the 20 / 30D, and buy a 300mm f/2.8 (For sports). If you make the money, and have the need in the future, you can always upgrade to the Mk IIn.

Mike