Dagor 77 stirkes again

richard_ilomaki

Hello Laddies

Dagor 77 strikes again with a bunch of stuff for sale and some

beautifully written sales pitches for the lenses- see the second

last one on Page 2 for a great short story about Edward Weston-

fully worthy of Rod Serling on Twilight Zone.

Oh, and more delightfull screeds about Poor 'Ol Carl Zeiss!

Enjoy.

It's really fun to read Dagor77's lens descriptions. But even more amazing seems to me what may well be Dagor's hidden collecting strategy: Selling Goerz lenses by praising them to fetch good prices - and bashing Zeiss to get their lenses cheap - for his own private collection. Ever wondered why he is almost never offering faultless Zeiss lenses? It's not because they do not exist. They are likely to be kept.<br>

Uli

Glad you like the descriptions :-)

The last time I used a tessar was when I had just started with 8x20 about ten years ago

and borrowed a 19" Apo(Ahh ha ha ha!) Tessar, its was terrible. I say with pride that I do

not own nor have ever kept a tessar in my camera bag. Any tessars I have are on a very

fast track to the junk pile for Ebay, I keep myself warm and cosy by surrounding myself

with Dagors and Artars....and Artara ;-)

CP Goerz AKA dagor77.

C.P.<p>

I really have a lot of fun with your descriptions. Seriously! - aah ha ha ha.<p>

What doesn't amuse me this much is that apparently you think it appropriate to lower Zeiss lenses in order to praize the ones made by Goerz. Their reputation , and the fame of Emil von Höegh ( not "Hough" as you mis-spelled his name in that auction) however are so well-established and undisputed , that IMO to contrast them with something similar to a beer bottle factory ( the way you describe Zeiss) is disparaging for both.<p>

Isn't it a bit risky to jump from a specific observation (your test with a too short Apo-Tessar on a 8x20 camera) to conclusion a) if one Apo-Tessar is no good, no Apo-Tessar can be good, and then to b) it thereby follows that all Tessars are bad? <p>

Come on! ;)) That sort of generalizing inference may suit somebody with the licence to kill - an OO7 - but would be sub-standard for this Dagor77 whom most of us truly enjoy.<p>

Uli

hey there,

The 19" APO Te$$ar wasn't the only one I've tried, trust me on that. APO Tessars according

to my process camera buddies are a complete joke, no-one in their right mind used

them...at least not anyone who cared about their work/customers. I don't imagine and

never would give myself any where near the amount of credit possible in being able to

affect the price of lenses, there are just too many out there and too many people who like/

dislike certain lenses/designs/makers etc. Peoples tastes don't just stop at that second

cup of coffee, it runs to socks, colour of car and all the way down to Carl Zeiss lenses. ;-)

I think its more fun to describe (what many believe is the greatest lensmaker in the world)

CZ the way I do, surely they have made a few clunkers haven't they? I've seen plenty of

them come through my hands, separation all over the place etc. Prior to gathering all the

Dagors in the world to one spot-my place! I shot and collected Protars and all things Zeiss.

It wasn't till I used a Dagor then an Artar did the blinkers fall away from my eyes! A

revelation of optical glory flashed before me in a clear, sharply focussed and brilliant blast

of apochromatically corrected light the likes of which hasn't been experienced by more

than a handful of fellow converts who were brave enough to admit that they were wrong to

follow false prophets. :-)

As for my incorrect spelling, whew! I cringe at some of my own mistakes when I reread a

description later on!! I'm not sure how you manage the two dots over the name, I'm not all

that computer savvy, I know enough to get by and thats about it. Quite a shameful

admission from someone who gets a good part of their income from the keyboard :-)

Anyone is indeed welcome to write awful things about Dagors and Artars, but as we all

know it would indeed be an incredibly fanciful task for a realistic and logical brain to

accomplish :-)

All the best for 2006 to all!

CP Goerz