Classic camera shops on the East Coast?

The NYC classic camera scene is not what it once was. The Photo District is still a good place to walk around (23rd Street south to about 16th street from Broadway to 6th Avenue). Such stores as Adorama, Lens & Repro and Calmet can turn up classics but probably not many bargains. There are plenty of small pro shops (often in upstairs in office buildings) that can turn up items or send you to someone who has items. Try looking for a copy of the Photo District News (here online http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/index.jsp) and check out camera dealers listed there. Don't overlook B&H in midtown (there may still be a few other shops along 7th Avenue (look in Shutterbug) - even a discount camera store can be fruitful.

Frankly nothing quite matches the variety and prices on EBay but the quality might be more certain in a shop. Some stores haven't a clue about the revolution EBay had wrought: Olden once was a great source but has re-formed itself into smaller quarters with 30-year-old (higher) prices (e.g. most Soviet cameras are in the $400 range dating from the days when they were rare). Anyhow 30 years ago you could walk around 42nd Street, 34th Street and the Photo District and literally come up with dozens of stores carrying collectable cameras. Sic transit Gloria mundi

Gene - not really anything in particular, but I love the 6x6 TLRs and old folders with good glass (doesn't everyone!). I had an Autocord, sold it, and regret it. I also have a pre-merger Ica Dresden (I'm guessing it's even older than 1920) 6x9 box folder that I adore that I picked up for $100 in a local shop here in Michigan. Just depends on what I find. :)

Michael - thanks for the helpful information. I'm not sure we're going to make it downtown NYC since I'm travelling with my two kids (4 years and 6 months) and don't want to take them camera shopping, much less in the big city. I will tuck it away if I can get my aunt to babysit though! :)

Wendell - flea markets are right up my alley. Any recommendations for good (big) ones?

Jenifer, where is "central NJ?"

FWIW, I live in Cherry Hill, visit the Berlin, NJ Farmer's Market some weekends. Out-of-doors, not much in the way of camera gear I want at prices I'm willing to pay, or even priced too high, shows up there. There's also a flea market on Columbus, NJ, too far away for me to visit.

Jenifer,

My kids (38 to 15) still claim I destroyed there lives taking them to camera stores and endless shows for the many things I collect or collected - they survived and have a lot of unusual knowledge and interests. The 2nd Sunday show is one of the last in this area and is fun. As someone indicated there may be few bargains but in the classic area you can still find good stuff (and plenty of obscure accessories). Don't forget OD film. Bit of a trip from Flemmington but probably no longer then my trip from the Hudson Valley - go if you can.

The Columbus flea market that was mentioned is quite large but inland. There is another very large one just outside Lambertville on the Pa. border. The largest in NJ is probably Englishtown, not too far inland,and there will always be some photo stuff there but too much is new and junk. My own favorite NJ flea market is Collingwood, on highway 34 in (I think) Wall, just south of the Naval Weapons Station Earle. I have seen many good camera bargains there and have bought accessories. It runs Fri-Sat-Sun. Also, garage sales in that area are numerous and are advertised in the local Asbury Park Press. My two best camera bargains ever were at those garage sales.

I like and enjoy the Wayne�s 2nd Sunday Camera show a lot ( http://www.showsandexpos.com/cswayne.htm )

The prices vary a lot depending on the dealers; some reasonable, some were totally out of whack. I got some bargains, such as a fully functional Nikon EM body for $15, Zorki 3M with J-8 lens for $40, a few M42 lenses from $10 to $15 a piece. But, there were times that I got nothing.

Enjoy!