What to do..?

thowe4

I am in the market for a new lens. I have the ability to spend about 1000 dollars, but if I

can find a good lens for less, thats a double bonus. My problem is this....I am relatively

new to the camera world. I have the canon 18-55 now, but want to add another lens to

the collection. I was looking at the 70-200, the 50 prime 1.8, and the 85mm. Im a

student and I'm all-over the place. What lens would be the best for most situations....if u

have any other lenses not listed above, thats even better!

Which 70-200 were you thinking of? If the f/4, how would you use it?

I recently chose the new 70-300 IS over the 70-200 4L for greater versatility.

Which ever telephoto zoom you choose (if you indeed get one), you do realize that you can

get the 50mm 1.8, the 85mm 1.8, and either zoom mentioned above for about $1000,

right?

You need to give us a bit more info as to why you want a new lens. Is it for extra reach,

sharper images, low-light shooting, narrow depth of field, or some combination of those?

Any of the mentioned lenses will give you sharper pictures (more with some than others),

but only some can do the other things for you.

The Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS lens is a very good all around lens, especially if you have the 18-55. Not a $1000, but if you go to BHPhotoVideo.com and search for "psjan" under "all items", you can scroll through the pages found and get it for $1500 or so, (regularly priced over $1700 if you search for it without the "psjan" trick).

This lens is an L series lens, fast and very sharp, and my favorite. It sits on my camera at all times unless I use my other L series lenses for specific purposes. Solid, heavy and quality throughout.

Check reviews here on photo.net and this website: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-2.8-L-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

There are some sample photos there.

Enjoy!

You don't have to buy a new lens simply because you can. Use the lens you have and work out how you use it. You can get superb lenses for a couple of hundred but they are prime lenses and you better know you will actually use that focal length.

Having said that I would feel the lack of a telephoto (I have a 70-200/4 + 1.4x teleconvertor and it is still not long enough) and the lack of a fast lens (I have the 50/1.8 and use it for lowlight jazz photography.)

The best single lens solution would be either the Canon 17-85 IS, the Sigma 18-50/2.8, or the new Tamron 17-50/2.8.

I love prime lenses but for someone starting out a zoom has obvious advantages. You already have the 50mm focal length covered so I would hold off on the 50/1.8 for now even though it is cheap and very good. Same for the 85mm, since I recommend a telephoto zoom. If you just want to get a cheap lens to learn with until you know what exactly you want then I suggest, as I always do, a used Canon EF 70-210mm f3.5-4.5 USM for about $150 USD. The 70-200/4 L would be an excellent choice but at over $500 USD you better be sure that is what you need. I started out with slow zooms before switching to prime lenses as I could afford them and as I found out which ones I needed.

Go to BhPhotoVideo main site, and type psjan in the search box under all products. Discounted items including the 70-200 2.8 lens above. Lots of other goodies too, I bought the 4gb Extreme III Sandisk compact flash card myself... Thinking about a commercial Canon printer from that list too, but hey I'm not a pro.

Howe,

I would get a good prime, either the 50mm 1.8 or a 35mm lens, just one, go out and shoot for 3 months and really get to know your equipment and learn photography. Then decide what you want to spend the rest of your money on. You can even just use what you have now without buying anything else. Purchasing additional equipment is not going to help learning as much as practicing. Best wishes.

I gotta go with Bob on this one. A lens is a tool in your tool box to accomplish something, not just something to have. Buying the wrong thing could mean your $1000 isn't earning interest, but depreciating and gathering dust.

I look at all glass like this. If I want to capture something what is the best way to capture it? Sports requires either reach or speed in glass or both. Outdoor, sunny sporting events I can use an f/4 lens. Indoor and nightime sports I need at least a f/2.8 or larger aperture. Most sports I'll need some reach at the 200mm or more. Hockey you can shoot with the 70-200 but soccer, football, and baseball need more reach in the 300-500mm focal length.

Nature shots want something crystal clear and VERY wide angle. If you're shooting on a 300D, 350D, or 20D body you'll want something at the 10mm range just to get wide angle field of view.

Snapshots - you're covered with the kit lens. Lenses are tools to achieve, not just weigh down the kit. Personally I'd spend a little money on classes and education. Make the most of the body first before making it more complex. Then look at lenses as tools. A 10-22mm can give you wide angle, a 17-40mm is similar to the 18-55mm, the 24-70mm adds a little reach beyond the 18-55mm, 50 and 100mm primes have less elements, macro's can make that flower & bee fill the frame. 70-200 gives great reach on the 20D and other 1.6x bodies, I use it for almost everything I can including hockey, racing, models, everything. I bought it because it solved the sports problem for me, not because I wanted another lens.

What Bob said! The biggest mistake begginers to the camera world make is to think it is about the equipment. Photos are a result of the photographers skill and knowledge, the equipment is a second order issue.

Do a course or read a book to try to work out for yourslef what you want to achieve. Once you work out what you want to do, whatto buy should be more obvious.

If you really need to buy something to satisfy an urge, get the 50 f1.8 or the 35f2.0 but nothing else for now.