Looking for a lens hood

guy bennett

Can anyone recommend a source for a 49mm lens hood (it's for a Jupiter

9, so I'm looking for a tele model)? I've checked a few on-line

dealers and ebay but have yet to come across one.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

Should add that I'm hoping to find a metal one, either new or in good

condition.

Pentax and Olympus both used 49mm for a lot of their older lenses and the hoods can be found pretty cheap. Look on KEH, they probably have some. Just make sure they're threaded kind, as some of them for the wide angles especially were clamp on. The step-up is a good idea if the result doesn't block the viewfinder.

49mm was pretty common with several companies. Spiratone used to sell a telescoping hood for use on both normal and longer lenses. A regular length hood will be better than no hood at all. The only "condition" that really matters is that it screws into the lens securely. Hoods tend to take a beating.

How about this metal hood for under $7 from Heavystars at the auction site?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Metal-49mm-Standard-Screw-in-Lens-Hood_W0QQitemZ7585958781QQcategoryZ78999QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have one and it works great with the J9. Before that I tried a generic collapsible rubber hood and the flare [of the hood] was too wide, it blocks the RF window.

Good luck!

Thanks all for the helpful responses.

FWIW I had considered the B+W and Heliopan hoods (love their filters), but they would be more expensive than the lens! So I'm looking out for others.

Though neither has a tele hood in a 49mm thread, I'll check with Heavystar and Camerafilters. I'm reluctant to use the standard hood since it blocks the rangefinder image on my IIIf.