Andalusian horse

Trying to look at your picture, I saw that it's over 1MB! That takes a long time to appear on

the monitor, even with a high-speed broadband connection. You should be reducing the

picture to 72 ppi and have a file size of, say, 100KB. Nobody wants to wait for such a large

picture to appear.

--Mitch/Bangkok

I agree that for aesthetic reasons (and forum rules) we should either keep to 511 pixels or link to our websites/gelleries. Also images so big they have to be scrolled are a bad idea and images that force the width of the thread text can be unsightly. But in this world of universal, cheap (or even free) DSL/ADSL where 1mbs is considered slow, what is the fundamental objection to images over 100K ?

56k dial-up (the original reason for the size limits) is a thing of the distant past. Even my cheapo home set-up is 2mbs and that is rapidly becoming stone-age.

I know we are going to get someone here (like the little guy with the specs who pops up in Simpsons episodes!) who for some perverse reason wants to spend more on 56k dial-up than cheap unlimited broadband and there will probably be our one contributor from a mountain hut in Uzbekistan who cannot get broadband yet but surely we must move with the times a little? How many commercial sites (and this is a commercial site) restrict all their services just in order to support the few remaining slow speed dial up subscribers?

• 5 months later...