Is my Canon lens that bad!

joseph_burke1

I am currently ( for digital ) using a Digital Rebel (not the XT) and a Canon Zoom EF 35

-80 mm that came with a film based Rebel G a few years back. Keep in mind I use MF

(Hasselblad 501/RolleiFlex 3,5 Planar/Mamiya 7II as well as 4x5 thru 8x10 formats). I'm

more of a hobbyist and the digital Rebel has never ever impressed me-but it's great for

sports ! I recently tried a Canon 5D and a new Canon lens with a similar FL (Zoom as

well)-I didn't try any primes! The lens I tried was not an L version but was an IS

version-I took the camera outside the store and took a few shots (my CF card -BTW)

and took the card home-I was quite impressed at the results using ISO 400

handheld-I really like the full frame but the quality really impressed me-Now the

question-Was it mainly the 12.8 MP sensor or was it as much the lens improvement ?

I'm not giving up my MF film cameras but I would like some opinions on the Canon glass

issue ! Is my old Canon lens as bad as I think it is ?

In a word; yes. The 35-80 is nearly the worst lens in the Canon lineup. I used to work in a camera store, and we had a guy purchase a 1Ds from us then try to return it complaining about the picture quality.... He was using it with the 35-80! His argument being "well a lens is just a lens isn't it?" Good low budget examples to look for are the old 28-70 MKII 3.5-4.5, 28-105mm 3.5-4.5 USM or the 50mm 1.8 and 28mm 2.8 primes. If you want to keep the Digital Rebel and go for wide angle the Sigma 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 is an ok performer, the 17-35 also from Sigma is quite nice, if a bit restricted in range.

Buy a prime - 50/1.8 or even better the 35/2.0.

Then be prepared for a shock, even with your rebel

The 5D with a decent prime will beat your MF gear up to 12x18 inch print sizes. I sometimes wish it wasn't so, but I haven't used my Pentax 67 gear in a year.

"Is my old Canon lens as bad as I think it is ? "

It probably is. Some of the film-based Rebels were very cheap and price sensitive and came with truly awful kit lenses. Furthermore, those lenses were designed for consumer-grade film--those lenses are even more awful on a modern digital sensor.

"I recently tried a Canon 5D and a new Canon lens with a similar FL (Zoom as well)-I didn't try any primes! The lens I tried was not an L version but was an IS version-I took the camera outside the store and took a few shots (my CF card -BTW) and took the card home-I was quite impressed at the results using ISO 400 handheld"

That would probably be the 28-135 3.5-4.5 IS USM. That seems to be a pretty good lens, but Canon has better lenses in their program.

In general, Canon's top-end lenses are as good or better than those of companies like Hasselblad, Zeiss, and Leica. The reason why Canon doesn't have the same reputation is because they also produce a lot of lenses that are aimed at consumers.

"I'm not giving up my MF film cameras"

Full frame digital and MF are different from one another, but, to put it cautiously, I have sold most of my MF equipment and have kept the remaining MF equipment mostly for sentimental reasons.

<p>The only non-L IS zoom with a zoom range remotely similar to the 35-80 is the 28-135/3.5-5.6 IS USM. This is an above-average consumer zoom; it's possibly the best non-L zoom Canon makes. I don't know your old 35-80 but it sounds like a cheapie kit lens, which would put it several steps below the 28-135. So I'm not at all surprised that the 28-135 outperforms it by a good margin.</p>

I have long been a Canon guy, and Canon lenses have a lot to do with it. I bought my 1ds

with Canon 14, 15, 20, 24 TS, 45 TS, 90 TS, and 100-400. I've shot one frame with the 15

and it's currently on ebay, since the 14 is the ultimate super-wide. I also own a Bronica and I

think it's about to become a doorstop. The only time I'll use it is if the images will be printed

CMYK at larger than 8x10 at 200lpi.<div>00F9AJ-27992084.jpg.bbe51a967e81f44b6e944399b2ae2e35.jpg</div>

Yep, as mentioned not a good lens I gave one away and the guy tried to give it back. the rebel can be quite capable with a good lens,(and hack) I`d take it to a photo store with a CF card and try a few different lenses then form an opinion, even try your Hassy lenses on it. I`ve used my Hassy lenses quite often on a 20d,(with adapter of course) but rarely now use the bodies. Digital is a bit catching