I would like to try the nikon remote and experiment with some staged

bird photos from my yard where I can rig up a stump or tree limb,

control the background and get some decent shots with my non-bird-

length lenses.

I see it has a range of around 17 feet, then I noticed it said "from

the front" which is another letdown. Can I use it at an oblique

angle, or use a small mirror? this is getting worse and worse isn't

it?

I've got no familiarity with the ML-L3. Does it let an AF lens establish focus before firing

the shutter? Whether that's the case or not, it will help control focus and composition if

you present the birds with as restricted a landing spot as they will accept. For example, a

stump gives the birds a lot of options as to where to land and which direction to face,

which makes aiming a remote-control camera more of a challenge than if the perch is a

small twig.

We don't know what lenses you've got, but I'd go with the longest focal length available.

That lets you keep the camera distant from the birds, and also reduces DOF. Narrow DOF

makes precise focus more important, but will blur the background into soft,

nondistracting tones (that's my personal preference, YMMV).

It seems to work pretty well at a steep angle (darn near from the side) although the distance could be a problem at this angle, never tried it from a distance. Another problem with it (with the D70) is that the function turns off after a few minutes, can't remember the exact time but it's in the manual.

The remote does work from the front angle only. BUT, I have

used it from behind, albeit a little unusually.

I took a small square of aluminum foil and taped it to the lens

barrel (in my case an 80-200mm lens). Rig it so the foil is

angled to accept the IR from the remote and will send it directly

to the IR receiver on the D70. It may take a few tries to get the

angle just right, but it works. I use this to shoot a nest of small

birds outside my home, and was able to trigger the shutter from

inside my house, about 25-30 feet away.

Sounds like a tough approach to the bird shots! Have you considered using a blind to photograph them with your hand on the camera? You could easily use a 200mm for backyard songbirds if you're well-hidden, and the perch/feeding area is always there for them to acclimate to with the blind in place.

Hey Chris. Before I set this shot up, every time I went outside to

shoot these critters, they would fly away, and perch a distance

away watching me. It was only when I went back inside that they

would return. Thus the set up with the foil, remote and such.<div>00FAVB-28041184.jpg.4196e83028ffc9cc26b49ef5b4c6f80e.jpg</div>

Yes, the blind would be the best solution for the best quality photos. I want to see if it works, and if it may be a solution in the field for something more usefull. Like a cliff edge shot using a long pole, or high up in a tree where I wont bother a nest or something.

I just got back from the camera shop with the new remote. I need to update the my D50's wait to the max 15 mins before shutting down remote mode. and plant my stick - crud, I forgot the bird seed! I'll post what happens - or doesn't

Results:

For $18 this gizmo is one of the lowest cost, usefull items you can buy with the word Nikon on it. I can forsee lots of side uses for it, almost none being cheesy self photos. I think every digi owner should get one. I used an automitive inspection mirror to help get the signal into the IR receiver.

15 mins is waaaaay too short on the D50. Remote setting should remain until undone, can anybody hack the firmware?

So far the birds are being shy. Its funny, but using a camera remotely is HARDER than being there. Without adjustments on the fly, every picture is a potential "almost", you get to see what setting got missed after its too late.