So what's the drawback of the FM-10?

rgeorge911

The FM10 does not require a battery to operate -- just for the light meter. It is the FE10 (FM10 with ApAE) that requires a battery to operate.

I didn't buy a couple FM10s because of the fixed focusing screen, a bummer for macro/telephoto where max aperture goes below 2.8, causing the split-prism rangefinder to black out. Or else it perfectly fits the bill as a cheap disposable backup camera. The VF is darker than FM2's but still better than many other more expensive bodies (D70 for example).

Just be careful not to drop it, build isn't exactly the best. I had once seen a friend's somewhat used FM10 giving slightly uneven frame registrations, but no overlap.

The biggest strength of FM10 is the light weight. In most cases you'll feel as if you are attaching the body to your lenses (as opposed to attaching lenses to the body - it's that diminutive).

The FM2 was manufactured by Nikon, and it has brass top and bottom plates and an alloy frame.

I'm not as sure about the Cosina-manufactured FM-10, but I believe it also has an alloy (perhaps a different alloy) frame and plastic skins. This is the root of the 'lighter build' issue. That may not be a drawback in your book, but I think it's the basic thing that most of us zero in on when we think the camera 'feels cheap'.

It's very, very much "bare bones". The viewfinder info is exceedinly spare. The only piece of info you get three lights which tell you whether or not your exposure is over, under, or correct. With my style of photography, I'd miss the working aperture and selected shutter speed.

It's not to say that there's anything wrong with owning an FM-10 - I took an award-winning photo with it, but there are a number of large limitations in using it.

I prefer match-needle over < - > signs, but that's just me.

I prefer Nikkors to 3rd party, with exceptions.

I prefer a solid metal body to some plastic-fantastic creation.

All that in mind, the FM-10 is a solid camera: it's a perfectly usable image taking platform, and as such, has been used by professional photographers.

Cosina also made me Zeiss ZF, and my Nikkor 45/2.8P; both very good lenses. If you want a cheap and light alternative/backup, the FM-10 will work just fine.

In response to "Cosina also made me Zeiss ZF, and my Nikkor 45/2.8P; both very good lenses."

Very interesting to learn this. No doubt about the Zeiss ZF lens being made by Cosina, but the Nikkor 45/2.8P as well? Is there any proof of this? Or perhaps its just hearsay? One reason I ask is that I own a 45mmP and did own an F mount CV 75/2.5, and they didn't look much like each other (especially the mount design).

And to keep on topic, in response to "Any other drawbacks to the FM-10?"

No aperture or shutter speed display in the viewfinder is a major drawback in my books. It's the main reason I got my girlfriend an FE instead. She's since upgraded to an FM3A.

Cheers, Jon

Thanks everyone. I don't mind the Cosina aspect, as I also shoot Leica and really enjoy my Cosina lenses.

The plastic factor is considerable, and I haven't held the camera yet.

But, I think the key for me is not being able to see the speed or f/stop in the viewfinder, which I didn't know. That's quite important for me, also.

This is why photo.net works! I saw a great deal on a FM-10 last night. Before going to bed I decided to ask the experts, and by morning I have the info to decide whether to pursue it or not. I think I won't in this case. Great!

Reed

FM10 pricing is reasonable and doesn't exceed the build qulity. By the time I could wear an FM10 out, I would have gotten my money's worth out of it in terms of keepers, so personally I wouldn't bother worrying about the build if the other features were up to my requirements.

The Fm-10 is really crappy :/ Construction, viewfinder and everything.

All the other Nikon manual focus cameras are so great and most is so cheap that I would never even consider a Fm-10.

Get an used Fm-2, Fm, F-3, FG, FE or FA instead.

Some have suggested getting a used FG or FG-20 instead of an FM-10. Just for the record: The FG(20) doesn't have DOF preview. This might be a greater drawback than the lack of exposure information in the FM10's viewfinder.

There are situation when lightweight counts more than anything. In such situations the FM10 is ideal, as is the F65 for AF, or the D50 for digital.

I'm happy for all those who have had good luck with this camera. All I'm saying is that, as

a photo teacher at a lieberal arts college, I've had a number of students who could not

even get through the term with a new FM-10. Lucky for THEM the cameras were still under

warranty. Failure rate was

noticeably higher than some of the other cameras students have tended to buy over the

years, such as FM, FM2, Pentax K1000, Minolta x370 or x700.....even the Yashica FX3

super, which was really a cheapo slr.

If you've never picked up an FM10 and handled it you should definitely do so before buying one. I have handled one and can tell you it's a plastic piece of junk. I'd rather use an old Nikkormat in working order than a brand new FM10.

By all means get a used FM2