Want a compact 35mm with fast glass and AF - suggestions?

rokkor fan

Hi all,

After finally getting sick of lugging around a Canon 1D Mark II and

24-70mm for snapshots I borrowed a friend's Minolta X1 to see what a

compact digital was like. Let me say that it was a nice little

camera, but I felt that the image quality just wasn't sufficient for

my needs.

I am considering getting a very compact 35mm camera instead, as I

feel that this would make a convenient compromise between my work

gear (the aformentioned Canon) and the super compact digicams.

Additionally it would ensure that I actually get my shots printed!

Can anyone suggest a very compact 35mm camera with fast glass

(preferably autofocus) that might suit my needs? Image quality is a

priority closely followed by size.

Cheers,

Antony

compact is a relative term...but, if you want a real treat...the Konica Hexar AF. Fixed 35mm f/2, AF (manual override...clumsy for actually focusing manually....but quick and easy for pre-set to a particullar distance), AE (P, A, and manual)....and a P mode that actually works (the only cam I ever...EVER...use P mode on). Image quality is legendary........heh....whatever the hell that means.......but it is way up there.

No longer made (production ended mid 1990's), but they still show up on the used market.

This is the film cam that Canon SHOULD be striving for in the "G" series digital cams. I'd buy it in a hearbeat. Who knows, maybe Sony will take some of that Konica stuff they just acquired thru Konica Minolta and make one........right, keep on dreaming...

Dude, Fuji Natura Black has a 24mm f/1.9 lens, exposure compensation, flash on / off, and

infinity focus lock. I love mine. It's a solid little camera. I'm going to also move into the

Hexar AF (35 f/2 lens) and Konica TC-1 (28 f/3.5 lens) arenas, all three are jewels and

might be the last of their kinds. Get 'em while they're hot!

The Natura has completely supplanted my XA and XA2.

If you are ok with non-switchable lenses and want digital, check out the Panasonic LX-1. Has RAW mode, is set up for photographers in terms of controls and layouts, and really good image quality.

Nice touches include: adjustable rear button which can be assigned to lock AF, AE or both; DoF "scales" visible in manual focusing mode; RAW; 16:9 aspect ratio, etc. Feels like a film camera in almost all ways.

I had posted a review of it in the Digital Cameras section - I have been really impressed by this camera. For best results, however, use RAW - JPEGs have higher than usual noise at high ISOs, but it cleans up very nicely in RAW post-processing.

Vandit

Antony, the best glass in a small camera is the Contax T3. Not cheap but excellent. Amateur Photographer magazine in UK looked at all small compacts a couple of years back and this won by a mile over the other pricy ones. The T2 is nearly as small although the lens isn't quite as good. The Olympus XA is also tiny and portable. These would be my choices. In fact I've got my T3 in my pocket as I type (where it lives all the time).

Antony, if you are looking for a film camera and don't mind slightly bigger than tiny, look for the Canon AF35ML (not the AF35M). The ...ML has a 40mm/1.9 lens and autofocus. They made two versions, one that goes up to ASA/ISO 400 and one that goes to 1000. I recommend the ISO 1000 model since you wanted a fast lens. Sharp lens. (BTW, I have one of the 400 models I would sell if you are interested.) As far as I have found, these were the AF P&S cameras with the fastest lenses made (until the aforementioned Fuji Natura, which ties it but with a much wider lens).

If you want smaller and AF, there's the Oly Stylus Epic with a 35mm/2.8 lens. There was also a Yashica with a Zeiss lens. If you want rangefinder, there's the original Oly XA or, low and behold, the camera you already know about considering your moniker, the Minolta Himatic 7sII with a Rokkor 40mm/1.7 lens.

Here's another vote for the Olympus Stylus Epic if you can live with a 35mm f/2.8 lens. Of course it is an auto everything camera, but it fits in your shirt pocket, has a reasonalby good metering system, and delivers excellent images. It is also very inexpensive at US$80 from B&H. I use one myself. Great little camera for the money.

Forgot to mention: Stylus Epic has an option for spotmetering(with spot focus)

If you like candids, you might also look at a used Yashica T3(has a Carl Zeiss f2.8 lens) or the T4(CZ f3.5, but more compact) Both of these have a reflex finder for sneaky candids as well as the conventional finder. I've had a T3 since 1988. The Stylus, however, does have more focus zones.

I have an early Canon AF35ML which I got off Evilbay complete with leather case and smelling like mothballs. It appears to have been unused. Image quality is really excellent. The other cool feature is that when you keep the shutter button depressed, it just keeps popping off the images like an SLR on speed. All of this is done with a tremendous amount of noise. Its built like an expensive brick. I also have a beater Olympus Stylus (larger body). Image quality again, is plenty good, but there IS noticable light falloff at the corners.