aldo ellul

Hello everyone ;-)

I see that many great shots here are mostly shot with Nikon or Canon

cameras. The best shots in this site have superb sharpness and

picture quality. I am not a pro..but I'm aspiring to be one...some

day! I'm thinking of getting a Minolta D srl as I have some Minolta

lenses and flash which I don't want to put aside. Do you think I

will be able to achieve shot like you guys do with the Minolta or

shall I forget mt minolta gear and get a Nikon?

Thanks in advance

Aldo

I have four Nikons and love them dearly but I don't think they make THAT much difference. I do think it's nice to have the range of lenses, and there are some really sweet ones like 28 1.4 and 85 1.4, and all the great accessories. But if your high-tech gadget needs are fairly pedestrian you can take just as good photos with a Minolta.

You could good shots with a Minolta, just as much as Canon or Nikon, or any other brand. The downside is that Konica Minolta is leaving the photography business all together, so it'll be hard to find a Konica-Minolta DSLR and it might be hard to get it repaired.

If I were you, I'd look at other brands.

<I>Do you think I will be able to achieve shot like you guys do with the Minolta or shall I

forget mt minolta gear and get a Nikon?</I><P>

Minolta makes (or at least made) fine equipment, so that isn't going to limit the quality of

your results. Unless you really and truely need some lens that Brand N or Brand C makes

that is absent from the Minolta line, I don't see much reason to change just yet -- but you'd

be well advised to see how Minolta -compatable gear is supported by Sony over the next year

or so before making any big new investments in Brand M.

If you want to be a pro some day, both Canon and Nikon have fairly complete systems that you can grow into. Meanwhile, Minolta has fallen behind at the higher end for like two decades, and Sony has never produced high-end SLRs before. Just say Sony indeed intends to enter the pro DSLR market, but in case they are not successful, they might pull the plug after a year or two and you'll be left with a bunch of Minolta equipment with a dead end.

IMO it is very unwise to take a chance on Minolta/Sony while there are much safer choices in Canon and Nikon.

The best camera is the one you have with you when you need it and the sharpest image is

more dependent on propely supporting the lens/ camera combination than in paying huge

bucks for glass. My first SLR kit was a Minolta Maxxum 3000i, Sigma 28-70mm f3.5-4.5

zoom lens, and Achiever shoe-mounted flash that I bought new in 1990. It was my

constant companion for many travel adventures and probably had 4,000-5,000 exposures

through it by the time I retired the body and the lens fell apart (which it literally did...). In

fact, it was this kit that gave me a subsantial enough body of work to present to a

publishing company at that time and receive my first paid contract for natural history

subjects. It was that check that then subsidized my first Nikon SLR purchase. To put

this into perspective, the Maxxum 3000i is an SLR which had no provision for manual

exposure control: It was all "Program", essentially a point-and-shoot camera which

accepted interchangeable lenses. Primitive by any standard but I made it work, which is

the most important thing.

My point is that where there is a will, there is a way, and you don't need to spend huge

bucks to take a good picture. Learn to shoot first, then your needs will be clearer and

better gear will justify itself in the future. Good luck with your photography.<div>00FA5I-28028784.jpg.468a5e28182a44d23d942a704823c825.jpg</div>

I've been shooting with Nikon's for about 30 years now. I'm not a Pro, but recently I

purchased a Nikon D50. Since I've been shooting with it, it has taken me to higher levels and

has created shots that are crisp, clear, and colorful. I love my Nikon's. Good Luck , thanks

John<div>00FAUn-28041084.jpg.37d07031275ba2d1453f82ebf12729b2.jpg</div>