D50 - Images Soft?

jdessel

Recently I bought a Nikon D50. I chose it after months of online research that included

other Nikons and other brands. The biggest factor in choosing the Nikon brand was the

image quality I've seen online and the biggest factor in choosing the D50 was my wallet.

I bought the body separately and added the 18-70mm Nikon lens. After about a month or

so of shooting, I'm ready to say it seems incredibly difficult to get a tack-sharp image

from this camera and I'm not that sure I'm happy with my choice of model. I understand I

don't have the greatest lens in the world but images captured when the camera is perfectly

still on a stationary surface still don't quite cut it. It's not so much that the image is

actually blurry, but the edges just seem slightly soft no matter what I do.

Does anyone else notice this in the D50?

Is this a limitation of the camera, the lens, or both? Am I just expecting too much?

Yes, please post a couple of images to show us the softness you are taking about, and please observe photo.net image size suggestions. We need to know the aperture, shutter speed, focal length used and whether there was a flash or not, etc.

There is a small chance that there is something wrong with either your lens or camera, but in most cases, soft images are caused by the photographers themselves.

While I don't have a D50, I do use the 18-70mm and have never had an issue with

softness. I was browsing in a photo mag yesterday though (not sure which one) where five

digi SLRs were being compared (Nikon D50, Canon Rebel XT, Olympus EVolt, and I think

the other two were a Minolta and Fuji-like I said, I was browsing, not reading). In any case,

they compared image quality and the D50 came third to Canon and Olympus. While I've

had no hands on experience, in the photos they had in the mag, it appeared to me that the

D50 was soft. I shoot with the D70 and never have problems with softness (just the AF).

The three images I see are in near-macro situations where objects fairly close to the camera were photographed. In such case the depth of field is quite shallow. If you want everything in the image to be sharp, you need to (1) use a very small aperture, and you need to (2) line up your subjects in the same plane so that they can all be in focus.

I certainly don't see anything obviously wrong with your camera and lens. While it is an inexpensive model among all DSLRs, the D50 is still quite capable and the 18-70 DX is a very good pro-sumer grade lens.

There's no EXIF data attached to your sample photos so I'll have to take a guess at what's going on here.

First, it looks like you're shooting with the lens wide open in dim available light. While the 18-70DX is a good consumer grade zoom it needs to be stopped down at least a full stop for best sharpness.

In the second shot, of the beer cup, it simply looks out of focus. I don't think the camera was able to lock focus on anything.

Finally, digital photos must be sharpened. It doesn't matter whether the sharpening is done in the camera or during post processing, but they must be sharpened.

Again, lacking any EXIF data I can't tell whether any sharpening was done. If you're shooting RAW (NEF) it doesn't matter because sharpening is best applied during post processing. But I prefer to sharpen JPEGs in the camera because it works well. I try to shoot JPEGs in the camera that are ready to go, no post processing needed, including sharpening. I shoot NEFs as backups for tricky photos that need extra work, which always includes some sharpening as a final step before output.

If you got a trialware copy of Nikon Capture with your D50, try experimenting with the sharpening options. Otherwise try Nikon Editor, the simple freebie editor that comes with Nikon View. You can download Nikon View free from Nikon's website. Nikon Editor has very limited editing tools but what it offers works fairly well. If you don't need batch processing capability Photoshop Elements works well too and offers more creative tools than Nikon software and the second best NEF conversions I've seen (Nikon's the best for converting NEFs to TIFFs or JEPGs).

try taking some shots at ISO 200 in Aperture priority using f8 or f11 either outdoors or use flash. This will help mitigate image softening issues not tied to the camera (Shallow depth of field, mis-focus, camera shake, lens not at optimal aperture, etc).

All your sample photos are at low shutter speeds in low light with the aperture pretty wide open.

And finally, as Lex stated, all digital photos need a bit of sharpening.

Hey, J, you're shooting at really show shutter speeds at the longest end of your zoom and focused pretty close where depth of field is going to be very shallow and any slight mis-focusing will be very apparent and with the lens wide open. Also, all digital requires a dab of sharpening. So all of those things combined = pictures that aren't quite tack sharp. I think the main culprit is probably 1.) slightly out of focus, 2.) little bit of shake from slow shutter speed and 3.) for optimum sharpness out of pretty much any lens stop down at least a stop.

"Finally, digital photos must be sharpened. It doesn't matter whether the sharpening is

done in the camera or during post processing, but they must be sharpened."

Ok. Thanks- I have been using Photoshop CS on most images. I just wasn't aware that

sharpening was generally needed across the board for digital images.

Thank you for all the responses. I guess I just have more to learn than I realized.

George Goodroe, thank you for posting that image, it's gorgeous (not to mention it

renewed my confidence in my little D50).

If you weren't using a tripod and were shooting at 1/10 sec the reason for the soft photos is easy to ascertain. There are few people who can handhold any camera a get sharp photos at 1/10 sec, especially shooting close up and especially shooting eith a camera as light as the D50. There are plenty of people who claim they can hand hold at such speeds but they are living in an imaginary kingdom where donkeys can fly, too. Once you are below 1/30th sec (and that's too slow for most people) you better have a tripod or some sandbags. Otherwise any lens will produce soft photos.

J. Dessel: I should point out that in your 3 sample images, in each image there is an area that is in focus, but there are a lot of areas that are outside of the plane that is in focus. Therefore, IMO it is mainly a lack of depth of field issue. Now you have added aperture info to your images, this problem is not helped by the fact that you were using the lens almost wide open.

Incidentally, I rarely sharpen my digital images. In your case no amount of sharpening would fix the serious lack of depth of field. If you want multiple subjects in your image all to be in focus from such a short distance, you need to arrange them to be on a plane and then you need to orient your camera such that the plane of the sensor is parellel to the plane of the subjects and use a smaller aperture, which may mean you'll have to use a tripod with a slow shutter speed or use a flash.

As Shun said your problem is lack of depth of field. This photo was shot from about 10 cm away @ f32! Even then the foreground is blurred. Manipulating this depth of field to your advantage is the very reason you bought an SLR. If you want everything in focus you need a point and shoot with a tiny 1/3.6" sensor.

Keep playing with it and use the extraordinary amount of info on this site to help you.

Best wishes.<div>00FLb1-28339284.jpg.70f3f76532214d780229793296671997.jpg</div>

I'll re-emphasize what Wayne said: your shutter speeds are way too slow for handheld shots! You are blurring your images with movement. Its that simple. As others mentioned, you depth of field is very shallow too, but without a steady camera, nothing will be sharp, even if it was well focused.

To get sharp handheld pictures use the reciprical of the focal length. If your shooting at 70mm then the min shutter speed is 1/60 plus. On a digital you might need to also multiply the 70 by 1.5 to get 105. So you might want to shoot at 1/125. Or up your iso, or get a tripod or a nice flash.

Dan

Thanks for all the replies. I was pretty convinced before posting here that there should be

no reason to not expect tack-sharp images the way I was shooting.

Yesterday I picked up a Sigma 50mm EX macro lens and the next addition I plan is a Nikon

50mm f/1.4. I already see an improvement just using the macro- of course I realize it's an

entirely different lens but I'm just saying, there's an improvement in the clarity of what's

supposed to be in focus with this lens compared to the zoom. I don't like to use the flash,

I prefer available light and therefore need to get a better grip on the best settings to use

under those circumstances.

So thanks for taking the time to reply.

And I can't wait to see the results with the f/1.4...

I just wanted to add to this thread that I received my 50mm f/1.4 and took some shots

and

I'm absolutely floored at how sharp and clear these shots are!

Attached Image:

Exposure Time: 1/20 sec

Shutter Speed: 1/20 sec

F-Stop: f/2.2

Focal Length: 50mm

ISO Speed Rating: 800

Flash: Did not fire